• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shopping for Auto Coverage

We use traveller's. Our agent is great, Mitch Dennis out of loganville. We used to have state farm on vehicles and home but we tried filing a roof claim and though there was obvious damage seen by myself, two different roofers and an independent home inspector they denied the claim and I paid out of pocket for repair. State farm only offered $1500 on top of me paying my deductible for what really should've been a whole roof replacement. It took their checks to our old agent, ripped them in half in front of him and told him I was going to use someone else. Went with traveller's that day and dropped them. Better coverage and lower rates at that. I have heard state farm be called snake farm due to the business practices such as I described. Their vehicle coverage isn't as good as what I get through traveller's as well.
I used to work for a roofing company and your story is not at all uncommon with State Farm. Worst insurance we came across when it came to homeowner claims.

I don't know how State Farm is with auto insurance because I've never had them and their rates for me where never low enough for me to consider them. My girlfriend has them because they were the lowest for her. Fortunately she has not needed to file a claim yet.

I was just talking about insurance rates with a good friend of mine recently. I think I remember him saying he is currently with State Farm and he pays more monthly for basic liability than I do for full coverage with Progressive.

For a little perspective on this, he drives a mid-90s 2wd single cab Ford Ranger with 250k+ miles. I haven't looked it up but I'd guess the value of it to be less than $7500. I drive a 2018 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD Off Road 4x4 with 101k miles. The KBB trade value on my truck is still in the low $30k's.

It makes no sense to me how I pay less for full coverage than he does for the least coverage you can get when my vehicle is worth at least 4 times what his is worth. And that's just based on trade value, I didn't even look up what retail value would be on it.

(Disclaimer--- I am not trying to say Progressive is great or the best out there, just was least expensive for me for years and I have been with them forever. I could possibly save a little money if I shopped around a little now. I have had to file a claim and I was very happy with the service I got from Progressive.)

I had to take care of my father in law’s claim with State Farm and hope I don’t ever have to deal with that company again. Father in law has been paying them for around 40 years and no claims
What a nightmare
I dropped Snake farm after 41 years because of the BS I see on a regular basis.

I dropped Snake farm after 41 years because of the BS I see on a regular basis.
Tree fell on his house causing structural damage to 50% of the roof
They wanted to color match 24 year old shingles instead of roofing the other half of the house.
Finally got that taken care of.
One of the tree limbs went through the window of his spare car which is 20 years old but still a good car,busted the windshield and dash and dented the hood.
Has full coverage on the car but can’t get parts to fix it and they won’t total it,told me they will pay to fix it. If parts aren’t available to fix it how are you going to fix it?
Still sitting in his driveway for a year now.

Tree fell on his house causing structural damage to 50% of the roof
They wanted to color match 24 year old shingles instead of roofing the other half of the house.
Finally got that taken care of.
One of the tree limbs went through the window of his spare car which is 20 years old but still a good car,busted the windshield and dash and dented the hood.
Has full coverage on the car but can’t get parts to fix it and they won’t total it,told me they will pay to fix it. If parts aren’t available to fix it how are you going to fix it?
Still sitting in his driveway for a year now.
Terrible. My neighbor was insured with Farmers Insurance and his roof got hail damage. He did all the usual stuff - called to get it inspected, filed claim and Farmers came back at first and said no damage and they wouldn't pay. After independent inspection and verification he tried them again. Then they said they'd only do one side of the roof. He then made the dumb decision to allow an 'arbitrator' handle it and Farmers used the Covid crisis for all it was worth. They delayed and delayed citing the pandemic and he had a blue tarp over his leaking roof for over a year. I finally told him that what he really should do is call the Georgia Insurance Commissioner and report them. He got a new, complete roof

I agree. I've had State Farm, Nationwide, Cotton States, then Country Financial. EVERY year CS/CF went up and up and up, all I got was BS "it's repair costs, the economy, blah, blah blah......"

Got into two accidents (not my fault and the at-faults were insured by USAA) and both of them handled quickly and efficiently, repairs at the dealer of my choice - all done by phone. When my Country insurance agent tried to BS his way through more increases in my home and auto insurance I went to USAA because of prior service (had to fax a copy of my DD214 to get approved, but it went through quickly). Everything online, they deduct monthly payments and provide plenty of notice on anything and also are quick to respond, FWIW, any increases I've had for coverage have been minimal and reasonable. No bullsh!te from them I've gotten.
I qualify for USAA but hey were over $1000 more a year to cover my house and vehicle. The broker got me supoerior coverage for less. My sister learned how high USAA was when she shopped with my broker. Different strokes for different folks.

Even good insurance companies aren't what they used to be. Be careful. I do shop around from time to time just so I know. I'm less than impressed even with good companies anymore. I would think USAA would be a good company. Main thing is you want to feel protected in the event you need it

Been with Ga Farm Bureau since 1984 and have had great service and rates! They have taken care of us well. Lost house to fire about 20’years ago, couple deer wrecks, have had 3 accidents where someone hit vehicle while parked and left scene and wife had two vehicle accidents. They send adjuster within a few days and take care of it. Was hit in patrol vehicle twice and received injuries where my insurance also paid me due to loss of 20 percent movement in left shoulder and once due to damage that disc in back from wreck . Great insurance.

Back
Top Bottom