• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

short barrel 308 powder?

hadn't thought about checking loads for the contender. I have one in 35 remington and it makes big fireballs when I shoot it. :)

I'll look thru some of my manuals. I guess I'll start with a clone recipe for FGMM and go from there. I'll probably load some up with Varget an RL15 and see what that gets me.

I started with H335 in the 15" encore .223 barrel which gave great accuracy. I then got a 14" contender .223 barrel and that same load was much louder. I then changed to H322 powder and the report dropped significantly. It was surprising to me how much 1" of barrel made in the report. I tried H322 in my 10" 7mm TCU and the boom is ridiculous, sounds like a cannon going off, did the same with RL10x. I have since changed to magnum pistol powders in the 10" tube 7mm TCU, using H110, 2400 and IMR4227 and the boom is much more reasonable.

One of my first Encore barrels was a 15" .270. I loaded it up with H380 and it too sounded like a cannon going off. I only had rifle load data at the time so I looked down the list and found the fastest powder listed in the manual which was H335. That powder was much better in the .270 report wise also. I never tried RL15 in the .270 as I didn't have load data for it back then, but I may give it a shot one day if I ever start tinkering with that barrel again.

Rosewood

hadn't thought about checking loads for the contender. I have one in 35 remington and it makes big fireballs when I shoot it. :)

I'll look thru some of my manuals. I guess I'll start with a clone recipe for FGMM and go from there. I'll probably load some up with Varget an RL15 and see what that gets me.

I bet something like H4198 would do well at taming the blast in the 35 Remington.

Rosewood

varget.jpg

RE155.GIF

Back
Top Bottom