• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should your carbine be on "safe" during a mag change?

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
197   0
Reaction score
Pat McNamara thinks so, but I disagree.

I don’t put it on “safe” during a reload, but I do put it on “safe” when letting it hang, or transitioning to my Secondary.

I don’t understand his thought process that if someone doesn’t put it on “safe” during reload, then they won’t put it on “safe” when it’s hanging. Those are 2 different tasks and handled differently. That’s how I’ve done it for 30 years and I have never slung a weapon without placing it on “safe”.

I’ve been teaching my students this for 20 years, again with no issues. I explain both sides of the argument, state that I do not use the “safety” during reloads, but allow my students to do so if that makes them comfortable.

I don't get the argument he puts out about operating behind your partner, either. My partner should not be pointing his carbine at me at any time; loaded or unloaded, on "safe" or on "fire". If he is not pointing the weapon at me, then I don't care what state he has it in.

I’m not saying he is wrong, it is purely a difference in techniques. I will say that I also don't agree with the "my way or the highway" mentality, but I see that a lot at different places.

A friend of mine has taught classes with Pat McNamara and does not agree with this stance of his. He asked McNamara why he isn't worried about reloads without a safety on his Glock or 1911, and the answer was, "Do it because it’s there". That's as big a non-answer as my Dad telling me to, "Do it because I said so!"

What's y'all's thoughts?

Here is the article with McNamara's side of the argument: https://www.ballisticmag.com/2018/1...yPSTTxzQQhDusamvgq5RWG5ysjIJLKfmZwvKANFXYKc2k

I don't plan on putting the safety on my service weapon before changing mags. My Glock 22 doesn't have a safety.

On my DA/SA pistol, I decock the hammer when I come off target or transition to a new target. But on my AR, if I'm still engaging the same target and only reloading, there's no need to go on safe and lose precious seconds. If I'm coming off target (when the next target is not immediately visible), or switching to pistol, then of course I'd put it on safe. Don't want to take a chance of a stray finger or something getting in that trigger guard while maneuvering around when the weapon is not pointed in a safe direction or when you're not engaged with a target.

Back
Top Bottom