• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Should your carbine be on "safe" during a mag change?

Why put on safe for a transition to pistol?

Typically, wouldn't one only transition if the rifle was dead? So if dead, why safety?

Not always. I’ve transitioned to my handgun because my carbine was too long for the situation at hand.

Also, folks sometimes misread a stoppage or malfunction. I’ve seen a bolt lock back as if empty, while ammo was still in the magazine. Let the weapon hang in that situation, the bolt release could be activated against the shooter’s body or vest and chamber a round. Now the weapon is hanging, loaded, and on “fire”.

Depending on the stoppage or malfunction, the weapon may not be able to go to “safe”. I teach to make an attempt at it while transitioning.

If I’m not going to have at least one hand in control of the weapon, and I haven’t had time to 100% verify that it is empty or disabled, I’m going to place it on safe.

I don’t advocate the thought of putting it on “safe” for range drills but leaving it on “fire” during a fight. You’re on the range much more than you’re in a fight, so you’re getting all your practice using the safety. Under the stress of a deadly force situation, you are more than likely to devolve to your training and place it in “safe”.

Whichever method you decide to use, use only that method no matter what situation you’re in.

I put it on safe to reload, but it's not conscious. If I break cheekweld it's on. Currently it would take more time to unlearn it than to just let it be. I have no preference.

Makes no sense to me to flip on the safety for a mag change. The whole point of having the safety is because a free hanging/slung gun has an open trigger guard that can accidentally be pulled. This is why many pistols have passive safeties only, their trigger guard is covered until the gun is drawn.

I hope I'm never in a situation where I need a mag change. It would be a humdinger of a fight if 30 rounds are fired and a reload is necessary. Either that or the gun jams and immediate action is required = mag change. Whatever the case may be the safety is my last concern. I've never heard of such. I wouldn't agree with that no matter who is teaching it.

Pat McNamara thinks so, but I disagree.

I don’t put it on “safe” during a reload, but I do put it on “safe” when letting it hang, or transitioning to my Secondary.

I don’t understand his thought process that if someone doesn’t put it on “safe” during reload, then they won’t put it on “safe” when it’s hanging. Those are 2 different tasks and handled differently. That’s how I’ve done it for 30 years and I have never slung a weapon without placing it on “safe”.

I’ve been teaching my students this for 20 years, again with no issues. I explain both sides of the argument, state that I do not use the “safety” during reloads, but allow my students to do so if that makes them comfortable.

I don't get the argument he puts out about operating behind your partner, either. My partner should not be pointing his carbine at me at any time; loaded or unloaded, on "safe" or on "fire". If he is not pointing the weapon at me, then I don't care what state he has it in.

I’m not saying he is wrong, it is purely a difference in techniques. I will say that I also don't agree with the "my way or the highway" mentality, but I see that a lot at different places.

A friend of mine has taught classes with Pat McNamara and does not agree with this stance of his. He asked McNamara why he isn't worried about reloads without a safety on his Glock or 1911, and the answer was, "Do it because it’s there". That's as big a non-answer as my Dad telling me to, "Do it because I said so!"

What's y'all's thoughts?

Here is the article with McNamara's side of the argument: https://www.ballisticmag.com/2018/1...yPSTTxzQQhDusamvgq5RWG5ysjIJLKfmZwvKANFXYKc2k
Putting on safe to reload is retarded.

Back
Top Bottom