Shovelhead harley build

We got a frame to chop now

a old frame can have issues

check the welds real close at the rear post, top & bottom

level one motor mount and check the other to be the same
front to back & side to side
do the same with the transmission mounts with the plate installed

here are some install tips I'll share
when installing engine & trans follow the correct sequence of tightening & shimming
so you don't crack the inner primary & everything lines up correct, also make sure you have the correct o-ring at the front (2 sizes one thick one skinny) if you use a thick one (and it will look like it fits OK) but you need the skinny one the front mount/mount ears may crack

be very particular when installing the hardtail to keep things from getting askewed

correct sequence of tightening & shimming engine with ratchet or rotary top trans (with or without adjustable trans plate)
1. Install motor (torque the rear and check if front needs shims)
2. Install trans plate loosely
3. Put transmission in trans plate loosely
4. Install primary cover and tighten primary to motor bolts followed by primary to trans bolts

At this point your trans shaft is aligned with motor.

5. Tighten trans plate to the transmission (not the frame)
6. Shim between the trans plate and frame
7. Tighten trans plate to frame with shims in place
8. Check trans 5th mount and shim if necessary
BE SURE TO USE A FEELER GAUGE at mating surfaces
DO NOT FORCE TOGETHER with bolt torque - use a shim

At this point your motor, trans, trans plate are all in alignment and whenever you adjust your trans position (chain/belt tension) everything is in alignment no matter where your transmission slides on the trans plate. If you were to shim between the trans and plate itself, the shims are no longer accurate if you adjust the trans position.

BE SURE TO USE SHIMS IF NEEDED - I have had luck with GM starter shims. Dorman makes them, they're available cheap in the Motormite brand. One end has a hole, and the other has a slot, like an Evo intake manifold flange, so you can cut them down to get whatever you want.
(PLEASE don't use beer cans for shims)

be real particular when installing the hardtail to keep it form getting askewed

BEST ADVICE, if you don't already have one get a HD manual for your model, don't get a Clymer or Chliton manual they are junk

the manual will show you how to check for proper neck to frame alignment also

PM me the VIN and I'll send you the VIN decipherd

GOOD LUCK on your build and Enjoy the Time Spent

Back
Top Bottom