• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shovelhead harley build

cimino289

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
Hey I was thinking of building a shovelhead chopper, but I was seeking advice on how to approach the project. I also need to source a solid stock shovelhead motor, and a Ratchet top transmission. If any of the old builders are out there I’m all ears on advice. Also if anyone has any parts they don’t need that they’d like to throw my way I’d appreciate it lol. In all seriousness though any leads would help. I typically check threads in the morning and the evening, so if I don’t respond fast it’s no disrespect. I’m going to try to get the ball rolling on this.

73D8F690-448A-42B7-9BB7-E0C7B19DCCCB.jpeg
02435C3B-B1E3-4E9F-B282-A2EC1C2E8E26.jpeg
45D268AF-4A52-4A96-8B7E-8157832F6E90.jpeg
I almost went broke building them
If your building one to keep it , make it a softail,
Choppers hav **** resale
My last west coast chopper went for 15k, the paint was 7500

I built one Triumph based hard tail years ago. I think I spent around $3k, keeping it very simple, and scrounging old parts from friends.

The big parts are easy, it's all the bits and pieces to make it work that can get expensive.

It's quite easy to build out of a catalog, but then the $ just keep flowing.

BNB BNB I may just find and old shovelhead or an FXR and put this on the back burner. One reason I wanted to build one is my dad used to build some chops back in the day, But dad's older now and I dont know if he'd be up for one last go. The big thing is I havent been able to find a motor and transmission without going bankrupt.

Yeah parts are not cheap and becarefull what you get. Resale on some stuff is terrible or dam near give it away to sell it

BNB BNB I figured the only thing I wasn’t going to try and get second hand was the frame. I could order a Paughco for way below what I could find a rigid harley frame for. But a good shovelhead motor is 3k a Rachel top transmission is 1200 and a wide glide front end is 6-800. The frame would be about 1500 so then you’ve got 6500 in a bike that isn’t wired and doesn’t have any wheels yet

Back
Top Bottom