• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF Currency Question

Water, water, water, food, and guns with ammo are the major items required, IMHO...any form of money will be worthless...You can live couple weeks without food, but only a day or three without water...Large quantities of rice, beans, water, and a good source of more water are my gold standard for my family/group...

Ya'll keep getting off line, the question was about silver being currency, not keeping yourself alive.
I think that is the contention. There is no guarentee that silver will be worth anything in a complete SHTF scenario. Barter systems outdate coinage and currency and will most likely be what is reverted to. Therefore many here spell it out that things such as food, water, ammo etc will be more valuable than silver/gold etc. You can directly barter those things with anyone, as everyone will need them... Not everyone will need nor want silver or gold if there is no place to use it to get the things they need to survive.

Better to be Broke and alive than rich and dead.

I think that is the contention. There is no guarentee that silver will be worth anything in a complete SHTF scenario. Barter systems outdate coinage and currency and will most likely be what is reverted to. Therefore many here spell it out that things such as food, water, ammo etc will be more valuable than silver/gold etc. You can directly barter those things with anyone, as everyone will need them... Not everyone will need nor want silver or gold if there is no place to use it to get the things they need to survive.

Better to be Broke and alive than rich and dead.

^this..dont forget,you need salt to live.

Salt was currency at one time.
http://www.smithsonianeducation.org/educators/lesson_plans/currency/essay2.html

Back
Top Bottom