• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF Currency Question

if its meant in the sense that you will use your guns to take from others than yes, "dies by the sword".
anyone attempts to take by force from others immediately becomes the enemy and shall be treated as such.

In time of war I can accept that,no problem at all with it.

I have some friends in the Rome area that think hard liquor would be a wise investment. One buddy has a couple cases of Jack Daniels for bartering. .

After SHTF the ability to MAKE alcohol would trump a few cases of whiskey any day. Ethanol (moonshine) when used properly can be part of dozens of different technologies. It is a fuel, a coolant, a refridgerant, and an antiseptic before you ever take a swig to forget your troubles. They would be better off spending that money on home distillery equipment ( a still) than a few cases of JD.

chris if you have to bug out you just lost that cache. ....

totally agree. The first thing you should buy with all the money youre gonna spend on gold and silver is some LAND! then start stockpiling all your stuff there where you can protect it and have a much lower risk of ever having to leave it. Only you know its there, only you know where youre going. You have land to hunt, to farm and to fish on and no one to bug you cause everyone is still in ATL blazing away at each other over the last box of twinkies in the city.

chris if you have to bug out you just lost that cache. ;) while it is good to have extra in an extended shtf scenario i would not trade anything i could not replace....

Yep - that's why I prep in different "buckets" - for my family (primary), for trading to get other items that we need or want to profit from (secondary), and to get out of dodge if we need to (working on that one now). It's slow going, but it all adds up over time.

After SHTF the ability to MAKE alcohol would trump a few cases of whiskey any day. Ethanol (moonshine) when used properly can be part of dozens of different technologies. It is a fuel, a coolant, a refridgerant, and an antiseptic before you ever take a swig to forget your troubles. They would be better off spending that money on home distillery equipment ( a still) than a few cases of JD.

One of the things I am looking into atm. Buy a flexfuel vehicle and just burn 100% ethanol...

Precious metals will be the first currency used after direct barter is no longer needed. You still have the problem of transporting items for barter so this will happen quickly. The reason silver coins are recommended is simply because they are easily identified and have a known weight. The reason age of the coin is important is because before a certain date they really were silver, now they're not. Bullion would be fine, but you would need to be prepared to make smaller pieces and show they are a specific weight. True silver coins are a known commodity, bullion is not.

This. How do I know the true value of or weight of something that has not been minted? Anyone can melt down metals and stamp them - coins are known values, you won't have to test them. If it really hits for any extended period of time, then water purifications, meds, seeds, and comfort items will be the next items to hold value.

A good bet too is having alcohol and tobacco. After the SHTF people will still have their vices and will do about anything to get them. Those would be good bartering items. Of course quality firearms and lots of ammo to defend "freeloaders" trying to take whatever you have. Think Book of Eli.

Back
Top Bottom