• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF Currency Question

I look at prepping as an investment. Like any other form of investment, I think diversificaiton is a good thing. I believe precious metals have a place in your prepping portfolio but it shouldn't be the sum-total. I agree with the sentiment from the one gentleman who expressed all the silver you can carry won't buy one of my laying hens if I'm hungry.

PS: The Stagecoach silver is pretty cool.

This ^^^ :rockon:

np with that at all. too many think that just owning gold and silver is the end all be all to survival. land food water in my opinion is the most important. society survived for thousands of years on a barter economy. in that aspect gold and silver as well as money in general are relitive newcomers. native americans traded for what they could not grow or make with from what they could grow or make. those stagecoach bars are pretty neat. what price do you put on food when you are starving? having silver and gold is only part of the problem. you pay 1800 us dollars for that one ounce gold coin and after the shtf your ar breaks. i have a spare but since its my only spare it would be worth much more to me than what you would want to give for it or perhaps more than what you have for it. to me 10 ounces of gold would still not be enough for me to chance not having it as my backup when shtf.... can you see the delimma? how much precious metal or "trade" stock is enough? there is no way to guage before it happens...
The OP asked " My question is this - what form of silver would be best? I'm wanting to buy silver bullion in 1oz. A couple friends have told me silver coins are the better way to go." not that he or we or me is only considering gold or silver in a SHTF situation, ofcourse you want to prepare with food and survival stuff.

You are right, he did ask for advice on what kind of silver to buy. For that, I'd stick with American Silver Eagles (ASEs) because they are highly recognizable and easily transferrable. They sell for a slight premium over spot and they are very easy to offload if we still have an operating economy. You can also hold these in an IRA if you are so inclined.

Next would be 90% silver US coins. Better for trading on smaller items where a ASE might be too much. I keep silver dimes, quarters and half dollars for this reason. I try to buy mine in uncirculated condition. Hate to say it, but the bright shiny object draws attention vs. a pitted, scarred worn silver coin.

I have the stagecoach bars and really like them, but not many people recognize them. If they continue to gain in popularity, I will buy more.

The Stagecoach silver comes in bars and rounds from NWTM. http://bullion.nwtmint.com/silver_stagecoach.php

One thing I've considered when buying U.S. coinage is that it's possible our country may split or somehow otherwise be delegitimized. If that happens, it's possible that U.S. coinage will only be worth it's silver or gold content and not the intrinsic value of where or who minted it. I'm not saying this is a likely scenario but it is something to consider when deciding what to invest in.

Nah, currencies are too hard to manage and too easily counterfeited. It'll be an all-in-one ID card with your bank balance accessible only by a swipe of a reader over the back of your hand... Gotta think bigger, my friend.

Thanks Bass Akwards and Chris Mac for getting to the heart of my question regarding what type of silver to stockpile. Silver is only part of my SHTF plan, OF COURSE it includes months of water, food, ammo, medical, etc... I assumed having those supplies went without saying.

Back
Top Bottom