• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF--What happened?

kletzenklueffer

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
3   0
Reaction score
I read here a lot more than posting, and have been raised with a survival mentality (41 now, so it's been in me for a while). I was reading the thread on group survival vs. going it alone, and it has me wondering. Most all responders have a notion of what they expect to happen when they refer to SHTF.

So what do you think is going to be the event?

My own opinion is the S hit the F a long time ago. It was more like constipation than a rectal blow out. It's more of erosion than a bug splattered on the windsheild. A few events that have culminated in SHTF- 1934 NFA, banning of gold ownership, 68GCA, 89BushEO, Brady bill, hate crime laws, Federal definition of domestic terrorists (all of our founding fathers were terrorists), Federal Stimulus package by Bush/Obama to name a few.

I see a trend happening where I live that is the response I would expect to SHTF. All my neighbors are starting gardens- not gardens like I had growing up, with a few tomato plants, but rows and rows of varied veggies. I've got three neighbors and we've all discussed what we're groing to eliminate some redundancy (how much okra can you stand). We're picking up on canning food. I'm to dig a root cellar soon. My young neighbors (mid 20's) just bought 15 or more laying hens. An impromptu neighborhood watch has started. I'll be teaching them to shoot soon.

Maybe something devastating will occur and root us out, but the enemy I foresee has been at work for decades.

So who/what are you expecting?

I personally like "When The Long Brown Hits The Spinning Blades"....

And in responce to the original question... I do not think it will be a single event but will escalte into total kaos... Like already stated.. It has already started and I would say God only knows how bad it is really going to get. I am thinking..."We ain't Seen Nothin Yet"...

Outdoorsman1

I don't think society will just dump one day although I could be wrong. As with any cancerous event, slow deterioration keeps us blinded.

i have pondered = now that i have children......in a crazy shtf scenario.........
just how would one keep and maintain a gas mask on two young children, and keep an eye on things.....just tossing this out there...could it even be done?....how do you explain to a 2 and 3 year old, that if they take it off...they could die...

not that i'm crazy, extreme, or anything like that....but, i see difficulties in being prepared vs actually making it...if of course it came into reality........

When my kids were small, we test fitted the gas masks every six months or so and really did not try to explain too much. Make it a normal routine to try on the mask so they are comfortable. In a situation, children even at a young age have a tendency to note very quickly your emotional demeanor and will usually do what you say without a lot of explanation. They know if something serious is going on...better than we think they do.

When my kids were small, we test fitted the gas masks every six months or so and really did not try to explain too much. Make it a normal routine to try on the mask so they are comfortable. In a situation, children even at a young age have a tendency to note very quickly your emotional demeanor and will usually do what you say without a lot of explanation. They know if something serious is going on...better than we think they do.

thank you for your answer and advice billrube....sincerely it is greatly appreciated...
i see myself after becoming a father asking how horrible things can happen to families and their children.....i swear, as intelligent and rational as i and my many many friends and peers believe i am.....i now realize that i do have a weakness in the sense that my kids safety,...at that particular moment, may jeopardize my own judgement.....
in a scenario such as my son were killed, i dont know if i could continue to defend....or just hold him in my arms til my life is taken as well.............it frightens me that i think like this................i didnt want to post this on the wall...., but maybe i'm not the only one who has thoughts like these, or would admit that he does

thank you for your answer and advice billrube....sincerely it is greatly appreciated...
i see myself after becoming a father asking how horrible things can happen to families and their children.....i swear, as intelligent and rational as i and my many many friends and peers believe i am.....i now realize that i do have a weakness in the sense that my kids safety,...at that particular moment, may jeopardize my own judgement.....
in a scenario such as my son were killed, i dont know if i could continue to defend....or just hold him in my arms til my life is taken as well.............it frightens me that i think like this................i didnt want to post this on the wall...., but maybe i'm not the only one who has thoughts like these, or would admit that he does

Dude, that's just being a Dad... Nothing at all wrong with thoughts like that. The thing to do is try to the best of your ability to keep it from ever happening.

Wheeler

People are starting to really recognize how fragile society is now.

A tornado knocks down primary power at a nuclear plant near Hunstville, and some places went a week or so with no power. No Tv, no cellphones, no gas, no a/c, no running water, etc. Just imagine if the power was lost for 6 months or a year.

What really concerns me is oil. If the oil stops flowing (say there is some sort of freak-ass revolution in Saudi,) oil will stop. It is not just a matter of expense, it simply will stop.

Game plan that little scenario. Think about what happens when the trucks can't stock the stores, when tractors can't plow fields, when people in major cities start to get hungry and pissed. You will understand where people are coming from.

Modern society is based on oil and electricity. We (as a whole) are as weak and helpless as very young children were a few generations back. Modern people have no idea how to fend for themselves, and when these people get hungry and the shooting starts, you had better have a plan.

-These scenarios may not happen next week, or next decade, but something along these lines WILL happen sometime. I am absolutely convinced. There are too many people living a comfortable life based on fragile commodities. That supply/demand situation WILL break down eventually.

Hope for the best, prepare for the craziness. I think it's a slow deterioration, but I also think that a single event could make the bottom drop out.

Back
Top Bottom