• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF--What happened?

I think the SHTF has begun. High price of fuel, unemployment, inflation, food supply, etc. constitute the frog in the pot. Wealth envy is another contributing factor. After the folks get really stressed for a while some major event can happen such as a terrorist act, a big one like 9/11, or over stressing the power grid, something that shuts down transportation which might effect food supply and commerce in genera or some problem with the water supply. This could set off civil unrest which could spread. Marshal law could be initiated to put down the civil unrest. Gov't might try to confiscate weapons, etc. to "keep the peace". Who knows where it might go from there.

We are not using our own oil at the moment because OPEC oil is for sale. Regardless of the price, we will use foreign oil until it is no longer available. This will ensure that when the rest of the world is out of oil, the US will still have enough for at least 5-10 years of reduced consumption.

Haha so it's a strategic decision, is it?

Sorry, I'm not sure I have that much faith in the governments far sightedness.

I would say it is very much strategic, and not far fetched at all. If you had insider information that General Mills was going to stop making Count Chocula and you had 50 boxes sealed and stored in the shed, would you go straight to the shed for breakfast every morning or would you still go to the store for extra boxes until they ran out?

I have found that most folks love thinking through the shtf scenario and planning what types of equipment may be needed. How many of you are in proper physical condition? I consider training, and physical conditioning to be among the most important tools to acquire.

As long as oil; remains cheap, and $4/gallon gas is very cheap by first world standards, we will remain under OPEC's thumb. Countries that have been forced into lookng at alternate sources of energy are much more self sufficient than the oil loving US. Not long ago I lived just outside of Paris France. Gas was roughly $9-10 per gallon. Did the countyr shut down? No, truckers were very upset, but a switch to less oil dependant energy has ultimately helped to wean their energy dependance from OPEC's teat. The safety and sovereignty of a country can be traced back to the source of it's energy, and as long as we insist on cheap gasoline, highly inefficient vehicles, and a culture of the car we will be slaves to OPEC oil.

Last edited:
Yes, because they're the only source of oil in the whole world. Why, we get 100% of our oil from them, right?

The truth is, untile we drastically curb our energy consumtion we will always be reliant on outside sources for energy. We clamor for cheap gasoline, complain when it goes up, but are too short sighted, and too unwilling to endure hardship to force changes that must be made. The rate of energy use by the US compared to the rest of the world is obscene, but we have attached a national identity to the cars we drive, the amount of goods we consume, and the syle of unsustainable living we enjoy. I am (almost) as guilty as anyone...I am not pointing fingers.

I would say it is very much strategic, and not far fetched at all. If you had insider information that General Mills was going to stop making Count Chocula and you had 50 boxes sealed and stored in the shed, would you go straight to the shed for breakfast every morning or would you still go to the store for extra boxes until they ran out?

It's not a bad idea, I just don't believe that's the case. First of all, out politicians do not think 5+ years out. Second, even if that was the case, we'd still need some infrastructure in place to exploit it when the time comes. As it is, if OPEC runs out tomorrow, we'd be ****ed for years until we got drilling and production up to speed.

Good idea? Sure. Thats the main reason I'm skeptical that our government would come up with and implement it.

I think my reaction to the SHTF scenario depends on what kind of a future is possible for me. Im 25, I work out 5 days a week, and I have a 1 week supply of food and water stored away in addition to my cache of weapons and ammunition. If there is any possibility of me having a decent life after the crisis then I will fight until my last breath to keep myself and my family alive. But if the world really is coming to an end and zombies will take over the planet anyway, Im just gonna crack a beer and watch it burn.

I have found that most folks love thinking through the shtf scenario and planning what types of equipment may be needed. How many of you are in proper physical condition? I consider training, and physical conditioning to be among the most important tools to acquire.

When I was a young guy, myself and some buddies frequented a gun shop in this guy's basement. My dad was all about preparedness and I could handle myself outdoors pretty well, but this gun shop owner was a survivalist. He had stuff I won't mention on a public forum, and lots of it. If things went south, he was well equipped- except that he was grossly out of shape. A flight of stairs would wind him. I decided at that point- some 20 years ago to stay in good shape. I work out, try to get some cardio, test my gear and try to think about what my goal is and how I'll get there... (see next post).

Total speculation to figure out 'the scenario'. The more I prepare, the more I realize how unprepared I actually am. Maybe totally prepared for 10 scenarios, it's the 11th one that has your name on it.

ie: You could live in a decommissioned Titan F base underground 100 miles from anything, going to get supplies when a solar flare decides to hit rendering your vehicle useless. Long way to walk. A paratrooper bicycle, a get home pack and a lot of determination will get it done. See, I just added a paratrooper bicycle to my list.
!
It's never ending.

Back
Top Bottom