• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Silver in classifieds

Is anyone else getting obnoxious amounts of requests to trade precious metal for firearms?

Only one. I said no, since I know little about what is legit and what isn't in precious metals. I'd hate to have to start testing stuff. Plus cash is just much easier to reuse anywhere.

My opinion with Silver is if you are going to do it, know how to check the silver to verify if it is Silver! Whether the member knew it or not. I have found counterfeit silver coin before..I did only one time and learned, Thankfully I brought it to their attention and was refunded by them..I don't announce the trader name unless they try to make a deal with another of our members..I have a scale and magnet since this happened..Due to my financial responsibility's I can't play the silver market, but I always keep up to date with prices..Trust me their are a lot of counterfeit silver out there..Let the buyer, trader beware..Educate yourself if you are going to deal with gold or silver... Just my opinion
All kinds of fake stuff offered in trade, mostly knives and optics. But I wouldn’t reject any trade offer just because it might be fake.
Just like anything I would do my research and take my chances.

giphy (1).gif

You can test silver with a scale, set of calipers and rare earth magnets.

Check the weight,

measure the physical dimensions with the calipers

and do the "slide test".....check YouTube....by sliding silver over the magnet. No, silver isn't magnetic, but it does have magnetic properties that can be detected with strong rare earth magnets.

I also have a silver acid test stone to test rubbings on.

I don't know diddle about gold and have none.

Don't hang the messenger (me) but U.S. currency hasn't been
backed by precious metals in a looong time.
Gold stopped about 1933 and silver about 1965.
Currency instead of having 'silver certificate' logo across top changed
to 'federal reserve note'. Only thing backing our money now is the ink
and paper it's printed on. Plus gov'mints promise to print more if needed.
Hope thi$ help$.
our money was backed by gold up until nixon admin adopted fiat

our currency stopped being real money on the dates you mentioned and now cash is simply a placeholder for debt/credit

Back
Top Bottom