Small Engine Mechanic ??? (UPDATED, got'r fixed)

Well it is a cheap adjustment and you can double check the clearance.
I didn't have the spec earlier, the gx overhead valves are all 5-7 intake 7-9 exhaust.
It sounded like it was loping. I'm still working on mine so it intresting.
Briggs and Stratton AA0101-0001 Parts List and Diagram : eReplacementParts.com
This seems like a better link.
And this has audio:
Engines RPM seems to fluctuate-runs rough
Perhaps the magneto needs cleaning or adjustment. (Armature air gap)

Coil gap IIRC is .018-.020. Dont bother cleaning the coil or flywheel its a magnet(flywheel) rotating past a coil of wire(coil) neither are affected by debris or rust. If it makes you happy have at it but will have no effect.

Some hunting with no load is normal. Can you get a PLASTIC garbage can under the lower when its on the transom? If so stuff it under there and fill it with water then run it. You're going to get wet just accept it. Keep the revs down obviously.....

Some hunting with no load is normal. Can you get a PLASTIC garbage can under the lower when its on the transom? If so stuff it under there and fill it with water then run it. You're going to get wet just accept it. Keep the revs down obviously.....

Did that before the video, thought it would have helped with load, still same result as in video.

Adjusted the exhaust valve to .08, checked the ignition coil and adjusted to .018, also put the correct fuel filter on (had one on that was a little larger)... still have the same results! I'm guessing I may change out the carb and see what happens!

well, I changed out the carb, got it to idle a whole lot better, still hade to loping problem at full throttle, took it by a boat mechanic for a little knowledge lesson... the loping at full throttle is rev-limiter :doh:!!!!

Boat mechanic was about to shoot me and charge me $100 when I went to rev it up!!!

Finally, I'm back on the river again!!!
upload_2016-5-31_10-48-56.png

Thanks for all the input guys!!!

Back
Top Bottom