• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smith-Corona CMP find

smk1026

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
That Dude
131   0
Reaction score
So I pulled my butt out of bed and picked up my old man this morning by around 5am and hit the road to hit the south store for a chance at a nice 03-a3. My father is a lover of springfields and it rubbed off on me, but we were always all about the 1903 or great grand daddy's gun as he called it. We were second in line arriving around 5:30am central time. We were met shortly after by several customers wanting to wait their turn for a chance at something different the CMP had in the racks this morning. We waited along with about 20+ folks and it was a mad rush once the doors opened for the perfect rifle. We joked in line about who was going where. My father and I headed for the springers along with many others. Being second in line but first in line looking for a bolt gun I got to scope while I was walking towards the racks. One stood out and I looked at the three tags before that rifle until I got to it. And here she is. To my knowledge this appears to be all correct smith corona with the correct lug stock.. the stock is lightly oiled and the cartouches are fresh looking with dry spots.
IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0231.JPG
IMG_0232.JPG
IMG_0233.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG

I had the throat regauged by a gentlemen that was shopping he marked it at just under a 1.0
The finish on the magazine floor plate and trigger guard is still fresh looking!
IMG_0237.JPG

IMG_0236.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

IMG_0242.JPG

Great find! I thought the CMP had stopped selling 03A3s a long time ago though. Do those still just show up at random or has a new stock been released or something? How much?
I'm unsure where they came from honestly. The hang tag has a date for 2014 as the year. Back of the warehouse under a log who knows. These were considered service grade rifles and were marked at $650.00
I follow the cmp forums daily and the south store reported 9 on the rack. There was about 9 this morning as they refilled the rack. They also had collector and correct grade M1s on the rack and I am surprised to see these out in the open as opposed to on the auction block.

WOW I know that last year John Beard was there grading some 03 rifles (JB listed as armorer) he is one of the foremost experts on 03 in the country.

I wish that I had been there thats a beautiful rifle well played!

Back
Top Bottom