• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smith or Ruger ?

elmosdad

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
13   0
Reaction score
Well guys I have a chance to buy a new Ruger AR 556,for a pretty good deal.
Just wondering if it was as good a gun as the Smith sport II,or better or worse don't know much
about either....

Well guys I have a chance to buy a new Ruger AR 556,for a pretty good deal.
Just wondering if it was as good a gun as the Smith sport II,or better or worse don't know much
about either....

I can't speak for the Sport 2, but the Ruger is a decent budget AR. A few things are not "milspec" if that bothers you. The FSB is milled with a QD instead of a loop and the delta ring is a Ruger twist version. The bolt carrier does not shroud the firing pin.

Did Ruger ever start properly threading the barrel? I saw an early one some poor guy had split the flash hider with a chisel attempting to get it off.

I've had both and they are pretty much equivalent. Ruger (as always) is a little overbuilt with a heavier contour on the barrel, but they both are great entry level guns and I can't see you going wrong with either...

Basically equal guns at basically the same price point. I like Ruger's politics better than S&W's so I'd buy the Ruger (and did).

The old S&W made some major political boners back in the day, but honestly so did (Bill) Ruger. I would say both companies really redeemed themselves after Sandy Hook in being relentlessly pro-2A. So far as I'm concerned all is forgiven, although I wish Smith would follow Rugers lead and branch out beyond making everything in Mass.

Back
Top Bottom