• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smith & Wesson mfg date

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429273376.530033.jpg
yea it's been neglected a little. It was a buddy's grandmothers. Probably been sitting in a drawer for 40 years lol

Thanks for the picture of the other side. Since it has the four line address, it is definitely a Post War production. Low "C" serial number, probably 1948, but again, S&W did not ship in a strict numerical order. Only a "letter" from S&W can verify the exact year. It does appear to have some rust and pitting, so I would clean it and oil it to prevent further damage to the finish. Great old Smith. Before shooting, I would make sure it functions properly. If it does, shoot it. Should be just fine, even though it is around 67 years old!

Thanks for the picture of the other side. Since it has the four line address, it is definitely a Post War production. Low "C" serial number, probably 1948, but again, S&W did not ship in a strict numerical order. Only a "letter" from S&W can verify the exact year. It does appear to have some rust and pitting, so I would clean it and oil it to prevent further damage to the finish. Great old Smith. Before shooting, I would make sure it functions properly. If it does, shoot it. Should be just fine, even though it is around 67 years old!
Thanks for the research!

Thanks for the research!
You are welcome, but it did not take a lot of research. I have mentioned it before, but I will mention it again. The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, Third Edition, by Suprica & Nahas, is, in my opinion, the best source of information for S&W models prior to 2005/2006.

You are welcome, but it did not take a lot of research. I have mentioned it before, but I will mention it again. The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, Third Edition, by Suprica & Nahas, is, in my opinion, the best source of information for S&W models prior to 2005/2006.
VERY NICE OLD GUN. GOOD CLEANING WOULD MAKE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE.

Reactions: JWC
Back
Top Bottom