• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smoke so thick you can cut it with a knife.

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
We have a A forest fire break out so deep in the woods they can't even get to it. Thank the good lord it's only other side of the river but it's so dry it can even blow over to this side no problem. They tried to get choppers in there but visibility is preventing them from doing the job halfway decent. They got a fire team about a mile and a half from my house at the bridge waiting for the fire to get close enough to where they can get in and go to work on it. It's burning up a lot of the national Forest and good hunting ground with it.

Down in this hollow where I live the smoke is just sitting down in here and it's choking levels of smoke. When you drive out about 15 minutes from here where it flattens out it's clear but it's just not blowing away and just sitting down in here getting thicker and thicker.

We're in the worst drought we've had in 20 years here and we've only had one inch rain in the last month. We're expecting some rain on Saturday I believe but it's supposed to be south of us so whether or not we get any benefit from that remains to be seen. But fires are breaking out all over the place and it's not just in Virginia either.

Forrest fire update. Currently 2500 acres of woods are on fire I my county and heading my way. Fire is 0% contained and it just keeps burning. God willing some rain will move in. They are starting water restrictions since are too low to get water out of for the fire. So we are in sad shape up fellas.

Forrest fire update. Currently 2500 acres of woods are on fire I my county and heading my way. Fire is 0% contained and it just keeps burning. God willing some rain will move in. They are starting water restrictions since are too low to get water out of for the fire. So we are in sad shape up fellas.
Time to move far away asap!!!!

This is not overcast. The sky is blue above it. That's just from the fire which is about 7 miles as the crow fly's. They have closed of section of the the Blue Ridge Parkway in Bedford county.
IMG_20231116_071427987.jpg

Update on fire. From 2500 acres up to 5,100 acres and these are some pics from the air quality in Big Island and visibility. Big Island fire department and other areas are gathering in the Big Island area preparing for fire containment.
IMG_20231117_083451430.jpg
IMG_20231117_083455308.jpg

Wow….praying for y’all brother. I hope they can contain that thing enough to get a half assed handle on it !! Y’all need a good rainstorm for sure. A downpour would be a Godsend!

Back
Top Bottom