• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Snow jam 2014(Traffic Gridlock)=SHTF

Traffic could've been hell last night. 85 South from 316 to northbound 285 was gridlocked. I was fortunate enough to be able to get around it in the fast lane and get on 285 south near Tucker. There was some debauchery but nothing bad in the grand scheme of things. My commute time was doubled but for the most part I was moving, just at half the speed so I was ok with the extra time on the road.

The surface streets here inside the perimeter are hit and miss. If everyone stops on a hill, you are done. I had to drop it into 4 low a few times just to get going. If I had tires that weren't 11 years old and dried out I probably would have had better traction. Anyone in an American medium or large sedan or a non AWD BMW was screwed beyond screwed.

For gear, I dressed for it. First off, my truck is 40 years old and isn't as comfortable as modern vehicles. So inside the cab, its still cold. Second I threw in my insulated overalls and heavy jacket. Had gloves and all that crap. Threw in my jetboil and some stuff to make a quick dinner if needed. Lastly, my sleeping bag. If I had to call it a night in a ditch on the side of the road, I could at least be somewhat warm.

I made sure I had full fuel Monday night. I even got an extra 5 gallons in a gas can just in case. Experience from the last snow storm was that gas stations were hit and miss on availability. No one ever complained about having enough fuel and if there is a problem, you have a lot more options when you have gasoline.

Overall this is the third time this year I've prepared myself like this. The first two times, I kept it to myself since people would've probably called me nuts. But everything I prepared for, I would've used anyway or was gear I already had/would use for camping anyway.

My wife made it home just a bit before the cluster ****.But I looked at her and said honestly Wtf would you have done ? I know I would go threw Hell & Hi water to get her but it really made her think!

So how bad is everything still. I will be wrapping up business in Greenville,sc today around noon. I'm trying to decide whether to try and make it home tonight or wait till Thursday morning.
wait til Friday most of the ice should be melted and all the stranded and abandoned vehicles should be cleared out by then

Unlike 98% of Atlantans, I work less than a half mile from where I live. When it was taking more than thirty minutes to get out of the parking garage, I said "**** this," parked the car and walked home. Took about fifteen minutes.

I might start walking more often (there's a big hill that would normally cause me to sweat - that's why I drive)

I didn't even try to drive... Threw back a jack and coke for warmth, converted the arm rest covers off an office chair into a make shift hoodie and out of my office I went. Walked/jogged/ran a hair over 10 miles in about 3 hours. Successfully Recovered 5 cars along the way. Bought a homeless guy a beer... Ran in to some Mormons for a good talk about skiing...Got a crossfit hookup from a gym manager.. Had some other guys give me a beer as I walked past the bus stop, and then of all places, ran into a mutual friend.

Quite the adventure. My feet are absolutely killing me as I was wearing my brand new dress shoes.

Big problem right now is all the abandoned cars on the roads are blocking access to the few sanders/salters we have in GA. Just go into Google Maps and click in the 'traffic' option. The entire city is still bright red, with lots of closed roads.

Since it's not going above freezing today, only a few roads will melt (those in direct sunlight) and unless a good wind picks up to dry them off, they will simply refreeze again after dark.

I'd be surprised if things were even passable until later in the day Thursday, after it warms up for a while. Even then it's going into the 20's Thursday night, so we'll have more refrozen ice Friday.

This mess won't be cleaned up until the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom