• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So I called Buck Knives today

H4zY

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
67   0
Reaction score
I'm sure most of you know that Buck has a really good warranty. Well it just so happens I broke the tip off of an old folder I've carried for 10+ years. I won this knife in a stupid raffle 12 years ago. So I basically got it for free. Well today I thought what the hell, I'll call them and see what it would cost to fix or replace it. So I spoke with a warranty/service rep. I explained what happened, and that I found a replacement on Amazon for $20, was it even worth sending it back to them. His answer was yes. He then explains to me that this knife hasn't been in production for a very long time and that they would give me $45 towards a replacement.

So all I have to do is fill out the warranty form, send it in and I now have a $45 credit to spend on a knife. Sounds easy right? Wrong.... I can't for the life of me figure out what knife I wanna get. None of them really look appealing to me. I researched and looked at reviews, till I can't stand it anymore. I think I'm just gonna put on the Warranty form Surprise Me!

I don't mind adding money for a better knife, than what I had. I don't need a EDC knife anymore, because I replaced it with a Spyderco. So ODT what should I get, any suggestions?

That's not a bad problem to have. There is something to be said for excellent customer service. Kudos to Buck.

I know right? I was thinking the same thing. You don't come across that kind of customer service often. I was excited at first, now I'm like WTF do I get? I'm hoping someone will chime in with some good suggestions of the must have essential Buck Knives. I still can't believe they're giving me $45 for this knife. Like I said, I found one on Ebay and Amazon for $20. I actually thought about letting the wife pick out a cutlery set.

I'd ask for one of the few still made in the USA. Leave it to them and you'll end up with a shiny new piece of Chinese crap.

Is the credit towards a knife from their website or are they giving you a "cash" card you can use at a local store? Guess it depends on where your interests lie.

If from their website, I'd go with one of the following, all made in the US of A:

BuckLite MAX, Large - http://www.buckknives.com/product/bucklite-max-large/0679FAM01/

301 Stockman, Chairman - http://www.buckknives.com/product/301-stockman-chairman-series/0301CWS-B/

I like their ErgoHunter Select, but it's a little more than your credit. I'm looking for one with a gut hook.

I have several I like a lot. If it's a folder you want it's hard to go wrong with the classic 110. Really sturdy sharp knife thats a little on the large side so it's usually best carried in the supplied sheath.
If a fixed blade will do then their fixed blade classic the 119 would be an excellent choice. man you can flat process some deer with this bad boy. Easy to sharpen and stays sharp through a lot of tough work.
Though not as "sturdy" as the above mentioned knives, I have an assisted opener called the Rush that I like a lot. It's the right size for pocket carry, easy to open and very sharp.
Though I've had a couple I'm not a big fan of their "skinner style" wide blade knives like the Alpha Dorado folder Alpha Hunter fixed or the Omni Hunters . The blades are wide and thinner and will fairly easily chip or break if they hit bone. My Alphas with the rosewood handles are very pretty though and do hold a very good edge just not suited for the same tasks as the 110s and 119s.
Good luck I'm sure that you'll find something nice.

Oh yeah and about broken knife tips, My old man always said " A pocket knife is the most expensive least effective screwdriver/pry bar you'll ever own"
I have found this statement to be very true.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom