so someone want to school me on building a suppressor

ATF's gonna expect you to submit your plans, blueprints, or tech drawings at the time you submit a Form 1 application.
You will be limited building it the way you told ATF you were gonna.

ATF's gonna expect you to submit your plans, blueprints, or tech drawings at the time you submit would Form 1 application.
There was no mention of that when I efiled a form 1 to build a suppressor. It only asked for the length and caliber. I didn't submit any drawings or plans.

ATF's gonna expect you to submit your plans, blueprints, or tech drawings at the time you submit a Form 1 application.
You will be limited building it the way you told ATF you were gonna.

will this work?
i65.tinypic.com_f4r9c1.png

Are there many videos comparing the sound suppression and durability of a home build vs a factory built suppressor? And I don't mean one built by a professional machinist/engineer.

And before you just test the waters because you know you are going to hate yourself if it sales, unless you are a Friend of Bill, don't sell them, or Trade them even if it's highly favorable to you.

Are there many videos comparing the sound suppression and durability of a home build vs a factory built suppressor? And I don't mean one built by a professional machinist/engineer.

And before you just test the waters because you know you are going to hate yourself if it sales, unless you are a Friend of Bill, don't sell them, or Trade them even if it's highly favorable to you.

Here's the same can on my SBR - I cerakoted it last weekend:
20161106_191713.jpg

There aren't any commercially available suppressors quite like mine, the closest thing would be the Liberty Leonidas upper ($$$). Overall barrel length on mine is 13.5" including the suppressor (9" barrel), and the rear tube goes all the way back to the barrel nut. Total weight of suppressor including rear tube and adapter is 19 oz.

The ATF does not require detailed drawings, just the length and caliber.

If you don't have the equipment to make your own parts, you can buy them pre-made at SD Tactical or Diversified Machine. But even if you do buy yourself a lathe, the Lathe + materials is about the same cost as some factory suppressors and you can make lots of other things on it.

I shot my Form 1 9mm can alongside my buddy's Tirant and couldn't tell a difference in volume, just a little different tone. $700 difference in cost though!

Here are a couple videos (not mine), I'll try to make a couple of comparison videos next time I'm out at the farm.

Here's the same can on my SBR - I cerakoted it last weekend:
20161106_191713.jpg

There aren't any commercially available suppressors quite like mine, the closest thing would be the Liberty Leonidas upper ($$$). Overall barrel length on mine is 13.5" including the suppressor (9" barrel), and the rear tube goes all the way back to the barrel nut. Total weight of suppressor including rear tube and adapter is 19 oz.

The ATF does not require detailed drawings, just the length and caliber.

If you don't have the equipment to make your own parts, you can buy them pre-made at SD Tactical or Diversified Machine. But even if you do buy yourself a lathe, the Lathe + materials is about the same cost as some factory suppressors and you can make lots of other things on it.

I shot my Form 1 9mm can alongside my buddy's Tirant and couldn't tell a difference in volume, just a little different tone. $700 difference in cost though!

Here are a couple videos (not mine), I'll try to make a couple of comparison videos next time I'm out at the farm.

that looks badass! and those videos are really helpful and the cost difference is so huge I don't know why more folks don't build them. though now I am kinda tempted to see if anything happens with silencers and nfa in the next year

If you have a metal lathe and know how to use it, you can build an all titanium suppressor for $200 of materials and around 15 hours of labor. I like to add a tube over the barrel to decrease the blast chamber pressure without adding length. Here's one I'm almost finished with, it's 1.625" OD, all titanium except the end caps are aluminum. Bore is 3/8" for up to .30 caliber. Total cost to me was less than $200 and I have a bunch of titanium bar stock left for another project.

Here it is on my 22" 6.5 grendel, the length is 5" in front of the muzzle and 6" behind for a total of 11".

20161031_113420.jpg

That's a sweet setup right there.

Back
Top Bottom