• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So this is what happens.....................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
32   0
Reaction score
I run across this ad..............

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/showthread.php?61929-WTT-Tac-quot-d-out-mini-14

I really wanted a Mini 14, because it was the rifle that my agency uses but I wanted a heavy barreled one, that was a little more accurate that the standards and this one fit the bill. I exchange a few emails, and a couple of long telephone calls and the deal was done.

We originally decided to meet on 8-20 but on the day before, he called me and said that he couldn't meet on that Saturday because he was going out of town and would be back Sunday afternoon. I told him that would be fine, just call me when he came back in.

We left Newnan that Saturday morning and headed down to take care of all the business that we had to do (sold the wife's house). Continued to deal with business till late Sunday afternoon. I received the call and made the meet. Guy seemed nice enough, we talked for a while and I told him that I had to go. Just before leaving to meet we discovered a problem with the well pump at my house, and we were meeting right at dark. I went back to my house, put the gun up, messed with the pump a while longer and came back to Newnan.

Went back down last week, to complete pump repairs and brought the Mini-14 back with me to Newnan. I traded for a bull barrel and this is what I got.

i256.photobucket.com_albums_hh162_Lukeminix_S4021798_1.jpg

I shotgun barrel slide over a butchered Mini barrel. Here is what's under the shotgun barrel.

i256.photobucket.com_albums_hh162_Lukeminix_S4021801.jpg

I sent the following email;

"Scott,

Last night, I made a shocking discovery. I picked the Mini up by the barrel and the "Bull Barrel" came off. Well actually the "Bull" part of it did. The Barrel on the rifle is a standard Mini barrel. It had a metal sleeve over it, that was capped with a 20 gauge adjustable choke. Not exactly what it was advertised to be. The para cord was there to disguise it.

Luke"

I got these two in return:

"Hello,Jerry just called me and taold me that.I never took the cord off.I stated what I was told it was and as I he said he was told.I got it from a member of the trader from south of Atlanta.I was told he got it from a member also. I traded a mint stainless springer 1911 for it.I HOPE you dont think I traded it to you knowing that it wasnt a bull barrel."

"I just tracted down where I got it from.I traded my pistol for it to" gacracker"

I sent this one back.

"Scott, I don't what would be fair, but I know that what I have is not what it was sugested to be. I know that where you are sitting now, you feel like you have gotten a good return on your investment of your Springer, but I'm out a good rifle and got one that I can't do anything with. I don't feel like you did it intentionally, but I did get it from you and not the other fellow.

I am at work so I may be so to respond, but talk to me. I don't want to feel like I am holding the bag.
Luke."

I have heard nothing back since Monday night.

I do not know what would have been right, ya'll can decide this for yourselves. I know that I would have at least asked the question "What can I do to make you feel better about the trade?" or "What can I do to make it right?" Some have suggested that trading back would be fair, but if he honestly didn't know the rifle was boogered up then that wouldn't be fair either.

I found a bull blank barrel and a gas port for about $200.00 but that doesn't include the labor to have Gun Smith install it. I would have been happy had he offered to buy the barrel and port, even though it would cost more to have a Smith install it.

Or, I may have been happy with him covering the purchase of a Military site for the barrel (less than $100). So far, I got nothing........

I will buy a bull barrel, but before I install, I am going to experiment with this one a bit. The still sleeve gave me an idea. I am going install a similar sleeve with and epoxy bed and see if it will stabilize the barrel. If it does, it could achieve the duty that I would like for it to. If not, I am not out anything but time, as it is pretty boogered up now.

Be careful with your trades.......... I learned my lesson. If I don't already know you, then I probably won't be trading with you.

Luke

Wow. I would like to find out the bastard user that started the scam, that's just not right. I think you are handling it very well Luke, sorry this happened to you.

I can see both sides of this. In all fairness, his listing never mentioned anything about a heavy barrel. Maybe he mentioned that in PM, I don't know. He may be as surprised as you were to find this out. Not saying that justifies him (possibly) ignoring your PM, but I can see it possibly putting him in a "what should I do now?" mindset. Also, the prospect of a Vidalia -> Newnan trip may be giving him pause.

I think the best possible solution for this is if you can convince him to spring (at least partially) for an aftermarket heavy barrel. Assuming that the stock is contoured for it, that is.

As always, caveat emptor.

I can see both sides of this. In all fairness, his listing never mentioned anything about a heavy barrel. Maybe he mentioned that in PM, I don't know. He may be as surprised as you were to find this out. Not saying that justifies him (possibly) ignoring your PM, but I can see it possibly putting him in a "what should I do now?" mindset. Also, the prospect of a Vidalia -> Newnan trip may be giving him pause.

I think the best possible solution for this is if you can convince him to spring (at least partially) for an aftermarket heavy barrel. Assuming that the stock is contoured for it, that is.

As always, caveat emptor.
luke needs to get with the feller who sold it to him and swap back (he said he traded a 1911)

he should take the loss and not pass it on, enter refund mode and do an even exchange out. the original poster can then go put his foot in someones ass if he needs to. the individual who sold it like this the first time needs to be outed so everyone knows what a slimeball they are

Twine wrapped around a shotgun barrel? LOL! There is no way in hell I would have left that meeting with that rifle KNOWING in advance that I wanted a heavy barrel Mini 14. Glad you learned your lesson because it could have been much worse. Maybe next time you will realize what you are trading for.

Twine wrapped around a shotgun barrel? LOL! There is no way in hell I would have left that meeting with that rifle KNOWING in advance that I wanted a heavy barrel Mini 14. Glad you learned your lesson because it could have been much worse. Maybe next time you will realize what you are trading for.

not everyone is trader of the year, the seller should make good on this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom