• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So yesterday morning...

lostchild

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Protector of the 100 acre wood
68   0
Reaction score
...I'm wandering around with my coffee, a.c. cranks up. Bangbangrattlethud. Crap. Sounded like the condenser fan threw a blade or completely lost a bearing. Look out, see something brown bouncing around under the guard.
Double crap. Turn the unit off, look again, nothing but the fan blades. Turn it back on, AOK. YAY!
Finish my coffee, get dressed, turn off the unit, go peek.
Yuck.
Apparently a rat had gotten into the unit and was sitting on the fan when it cranked up. Rat puree.
Normally I wouldn't give a ratsazz about a rat's death, but this guy had it rough.
Anyway, gather up some tools and the garden hose, go back to open 'er up and clean it out. Surprise. Now i've got a swarm of yellowjackets enjoying a rat blood cocktail. Back to the garage for a bath in deet.
Anyway, got the unit open, rat bits removed and sprayed out and buttoned back up without incident.
Anyone else ever have critters suicide in your a.c. unit?

Never had one kill itself in the fan, but I did have one die from electrocution biting the wiring. My AC went out one afternoon and tripped the breaker. I turned it back on and it kept popping. Went outside and there was a cooked little rat.

My neighbors had one of their cats go missing a year or so ago, right about the time of the first cold snap of the year. They found it shortly thereafter once they fired up the heat pump. Um cooked kitty anyone?

Happened to me with a bird once, head stuck in the grille. The blood & feathers stuck to the side of the house. I guess he got in when it was off and came out when it came on. What a mess...

I work on electric motors and critters love to crawl in them when they aren’t running to stay warm, a lot of electric motors meet their end by frying a critter

Back
Top Bottom