• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Solvent traps

In for recipes!:becky: But seriously I've watched the videos for the Econo Can which is just a fitting with full size would filter screwed onto it. And when I first watched it I thought it was a neat concept since you could screw a new filter onto it when the first one gets shot out. But it doesn't work that way. The filter you get with it is engraved with a number too. So when you need a new one you have to send it back to the company. That part sucks. But what bothers me worse is that if you keep any other oil filters in your house you know for actual filtering of oil in your car then the ATF COULD claim you have more unregistered suppressors in your possession. See how complicated it gets when you mix non gun **** with your gun ****.
Yep...best thing to do is just not fool with it

If it was just a clip over the muzzle plastic cup, I would believe its a solvent trap.
But add the metal threaded adapter that just so happens to take a oil filter that has been shown to suppress noise.........well count me out.
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck.....its a duck.
I mean it would be hard to prove you would use it as such unless caught using it as a supressor, but they could rake you over the coals and make life miserable just for the hell of it.
I'll pass.

Just my 2 cents. If you want one, have at it.

You want a solvent trap to make you cringe? Check this one out. A friend of mine got one and it's a very quiet solvent trap. I told him that I would not be anywhere around him when he's "using it". Just not worth it to me.
IMG_5819.jpg
IMG_5820.JPG

I saw a guy at the Gwinnett Country Fairgrounds setup with a booth hawking these. Mag flashlight adapter and all. I got the heebee jeebies just talking to this guy as I felt a million eyes on me. Honestly, this was the first time I heard the words "Solvent Trap" used in this reference.

I couldn't run away fast enough.

Remember, although right now ATF isn't cracking down on "80% complete" sporting firearm receivers, they never approved of "80% complete" NFA items like machineguns or silencers.
When it comes to full autos, a federal judge once ruled that if a gunsmith working in a machine shop could make a semi-auto fire fully automatically with 8 hours' worth of work, or less, that semi-auto was readily convertible to a machinegun and therefore was, already, a machinegun, even if it has not been modified at all (yet). (That case had other evidence showing that the gun's owner knew and appreciated that his semi could easily be made into a full).

I'd have the same concerns about an incomplete silencer, or a complete and working silencer that you claim isn't really a silencer because you've never actually fired a round through it yet (and therefore there's no hole at the end of the oil filter--- YET).

What?

Most semi autos can be converted to full auto in under 8 hours by a gunsmith in a machine shop.

It's the same thing as the braces and raptor grip on 14" shotguns (I've done both but decided against now). It's not that they are necessarily legal, it's just that right now they're not illegal.

Back
Top Bottom