• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Solvent traps

The Street Sweeper.
Also the identical "Striker 12".

At the same time, the Feds banned the USAS-12 (a giant shotgun that looked like an AR-15).

Strangely, ATF didn't reclassify the SPAS-12 despite it being totally tactical, non-sporting, big and heavy, and used by a Terminator to kill a gun store clerk in 1984.

I saw a guy at the Gwinnett Country Fairgrounds setup with a booth hawking these. Mag flashlight adapter and all. I got the heebee jeebies just talking to this guy as I felt a million eyes on me. Honestly, this was the first time I heard the words "Solvent Trap" used in this reference.

I couldn't run away fast enough.
Yep seen all the slack jaws drooling over there wanna be.......I just laughed and keep on walking.the guy on the other side of him was selling manuals on how to convert to full auto and making suppressors.:tsk:

Even without the legal ramifications, oil filters make ****ty silencers. The sights are useless because the can is so fat and it really only works for the first couple of rounds.

Secondly, every time some yahoo gets on Youtube with a "loophole", the ATF kills a puppy. Like the Sig brace; we all knew what it was but assholes had to brag about it on the interwebs.

Lastly, oil filter silencers are gay. Get a trust, buy a silencer, and be happy.

I just came across this 2003 case where a guy denied making a "silencer" because he said he never tested it, never used it, and never had any of his gun muzzles threaded to accept it.

U. S. v. Kavoukian
December 3, 2003

SUMMARY: A defendant can be convicted of possessing or making a firearm silencer even where there is no evidence that he knew from experience that the device actually functions.

FACTS: Kavoukian frequently spoke to his friends of his intent to make a silencer. He made a device from materials he purchased at Home Depot. When tested by agents from the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, the device proved capable of reducing the volume of a shot fired from a 22-caliber firearm by about 3.2 decibels. [See Note below]
The silencer did not fit onto any of the firearms Kavoukian possessed,
and it had not been used before ATF tested it.

ISSUE: Can a defendant can be convicted of possessing a firearm silencer where there is no evidence that he knew from experience the device actually functions?

HELD: Yes.

[NOTE: a 3.2 dB reduction is pathetic. This was truly a half-assed wanna-be attempt at a silencer, not a real silencer. Any factory made NFA-registered .22LR suppressor will give at least 20 decibels of sound suppression.]

I just came across this 2003 case where a guy denied making a "silencer" because he said he never tested it, never used it, and never had any of his gun muzzles threaded to accept it.

U. S. v. Kavoukian
December 3, 2003

SUMMARY: A defendant can be convicted of possessing or making a firearm silencer even where there is no evidence that he knew from experience that the device actually functions.

FACTS: Kavoukian frequently spoke to his friends of his intent to make a silencer. He made a device from materials he purchased at Home Depot. When tested by agents from the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms, the device proved capable of reducing the volume of a shot fired from a 22-caliber firearm by about 3.2 decibels. [See Note below]
The silencer did not fit onto any of the firearms Kavoukian possessed,
and it had not been used before ATF tested it.

ISSUE: Can a defendant can be convicted of possessing a firearm silencer where there is no evidence that he knew from experience the device actually functions?

HELD: Yes.

[NOTE: a 3.2 dB reduction is pathetic. This was truly a half-assed wanna-be attempt at a silencer, not a real silencer. Any factory made NFA-registered .22LR suppressor will give at least 20 decibels of sound suppression.]

Did he get 10 years?

Why would they suspect someone, or go after them. Were they ratted out? Anonymous call? Or what? Seems like a lone guy working in his garage would be small fish.

Back
Top Bottom