• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sporterized Mausers= A Tragedy

IMG-20140320-00670.jpgHAd since 18,thats 1978 if your interested. Ceracoted armour black and had stock dipped. Added used Leupold 3x9 /50mm

I like the idea of sporterizing a mil-surp rifle to meet your needs, or a big gun company buying old milsurps by the truckload and sporterizing them so that their products better match the demands of the market.

As long as they leave plenty of the unmodified ones around for collectors, military history buffs, museums, etc.

At one time, the K98 Mausers and the 1903 or 03-A3 Springfields were as cheap and plentiful as Mosin-Nagant rifles are today.

One day 30 or 50 years from now people will see sporterized 1930s Mosins and shake their heads and say: "What kind of short-sighted idiots would butcher a piece of history like this?"
But when every gun store has a crate of Mosins for $79-$119 (like everybody did just a few years ago, until prices bumped up a bit), if you want to buy one to chop the barrel and attach a scope base and change out the stock, I say GO FOR IT. You are making a reasonable and rational choice looking at your needs today, what guns are on the market today, and what your predictions are for the future.

Mine is just plain accurate. PAid 150 for it back home at local hardware store. 30/06, nothing special, but has been a tried and true friend.WOuld not trade for anything

Back
Top Bottom