• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Spray lube on necked cartridges?

When I read about the Hornady, I thought it sounded like shoe polish. Then I got to the part where it says you can use it on shoes too. :) I use neutral shoe polish for release agent.

I believes it's actually mink oil leather conditioner/water repellent.

I remember when I first got some of it, the odor from my youth came back to me. I had a container of mink oil that I used on baseball gloves and boots when I was a kid.

I knew that smell, so went to searching. I found several indications that my nose was correct. I can honestly attest to the fact that it works great as a case lube too.

I'm the same.. tough to beat good old clear Kiwi for a release agent

I also have found the hornady case lube a pretty good release agent.

one shot is very hard to beat for speed, i know several commercial guys that use it. if you want the speed , i lay mine out on cookie sheet 300 ish at a time and hose em, rotate hose em again if im full length resizing on a bolt gun. if im neck sizing its imperal wax. i stainless tumble the oneshot off for speed and i wipe if i use imperial.

I'm not kidding. Full length sizing using the spray on dry stuff compared to using the hornady or lee tube/tub/pad type lubes is like night and day.

I used the older lubes like that for years until my father in law turned me onto this spray on stuff a while back. Comparing the action of the press with this
lube vs the cream or wax based lube you wouldn't even believe it .... full length sizing 308 and 25/06 cartridges feels like you're sizing straight case 9mm brass.

I switched to the Hornady Unique and I think I'll be with it for a while. Only takes a bit and the smell is kinna nice while you work.

Not sure if this is a good idea, but I spray about 1/3 of my .223 cases with regular old rem oil...then about every third or fourth case I size, I size a lubed one. I turn the lubed ones upside down in a tray and just do a quick spray. The excess from the lubed ones keeps the next few cases going smooth.

Rem oil is a good oil just not for cartridges. It will degrade powder if it happens to get inside the case. This can cause a "dud" round that does not fully exit the barrel of the weapon, not good if you are doing rapid fire with a 223.

The Hornady Dry Lube is excellent, just a tad expensive. If caught on-sale, it is my 1st choice.
I've also tr1ed Liquid Lanolin (don't use the solid stuff!) mixed with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (works great if properly mixed)
Additionally, I've also converted RCBS Case Lube to spray form using the Alcohol (also works well in a Zip Lock Bag.)

For me, I like to see a little inside the case neck ... But then I always wash my brass prior to storing / loading
Which would be necessary (to me) for everything except the Hornady Dry Lube (Which Hornady recommends to lube
all aspects of its reloading equipment)

Back
Top Bottom