• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Springfield TRP 10mm issues.....

redtail

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
38   0
Reaction score
First off let me say I love the gun. I have wanted one for a while and when they came out with a 10mm It was perfect timing as I was in the market for a back up hog/ deer hunting pistol.

However, I am starting to think I should have bought the Glock model 40 or the sig 220 hunter.

First issue was I purchased a TRP and took it home only to find out that the right rear sight's tritium was missing. I guess I should have checked this at the shop first. Things happen no big deal. Shop was great as I called them right after the discovery and they allowed me to return exchange it for another one they have in stock.

Took the second one home. Stripped it down cleaned and lubed it. A few days later I was able to go up to their range and shoot it. Had multiple failures to feed. Several rounds a mag. Tried both mags and two types of factory new ammo. Same issue with both. The round would chamber but not seat all the way. I could push the slide from the rear and it would "go home" and then fire.

Had the shop send it back to Springfield with a description of the issues. this was on 6/1. I received a call yesterday that my pistol had arrived back at the shop. I went and picked it up today. The note from Springfield had no details only "repaired and tested". I took it into the range hoping unknown issue was corrected.

NOPE!!!
It was worse.

I used the same ammo and the mags that came back with the gun and still having failures to feed all the way and now it is actually jamming with the round almost vertical.

Other issues today included not locking back on the last round, jamming when loading the first round via slide stop or pulling and release.

It is going back today. Needless to say I am very disappointed and frustrated. I have asked the shop to push for a refund but still like the pistol and would be happy if it would run. I don't have time nor do I want to spend any more money on different types of ammo, aftermarket mags, or 500 rnd break-in....

the pistol should run from the factory period.

We will see what they say.

20180619_114816.jpg
20180619_120826.jpg
20180619_121033.jpg

I was very surprised myself. I thought for sure after it went back things would be good. I know QC doesn't always catch everything but to have it sent back in and returned with no description of the issue and now having further failures is not what I expected. I always heard they had great customer service.

I really considered the Ruger but have been wanting a TRP for a while and that is what pushed me that way.

I hope they can get it squared away for you!

Did you try different mags?

What ammo were you using?

I haven’t seen you shoot. Try a couple rounds with some sandbags. just concentrate on keeping the front end touching the sandbag 100%. Keep the slide 100% horizontal through the entire cycle.

If you are limp wristing it, the normal slide forces get all sideways. The giveaway is the round straight up and down. (Wave motion)

When they issued 10mm to the federal agents. They figured out that they weren’t making federal agents man enough to handle that much recoil. So they cut down the case and reduced the powder and called it 40. Which has almost identical ballistics to a 9mm, but the ammunition is more expensive

Our government at work

I haven’t seen you shoot. Try a couple rounds with some sandbags. just concentrate on keeping the front end touching the sandbag 100%. Keep the slide 100% horizontal through the entire cycle.

If you are limp wristing it, the normal slide forces get all sideways. The giveaway is the round straight up and down. (Wave motion)

When they issued 10mm to the federal agents. They figured out that they weren’t making federal agents man enough to handle that much recoil. So they cut down the case and reduced the powder and called it 40. Which has almost identical ballistics to a 9mm, but the ammunition is more expensive

Our government at work

I can tell you with almost 100% certainty it was not a limp wrist. Not that I am some expert but have put way more than enough time in shooting a pistol specifically a 1911 and I am not recoil sensitive at all. I paid close attention to the grip and control of the firearm. These are not even considered hot rounds for the 10mm and I would say do not recoil any more than a normal .45 ACP

Yeah the good ol' .40 cal.......

Have a TRP in 10mm 5 inch model. Total of 1200 rounds through it. Have used sig, freedom munitions, and underwood bonded jhp 160 gr. I used tripp research mags, wilsons, and factory ones. Has ran flawlessly for me.

On multiple boards across the net have heard the S&B stuff has reliablilty issues in 10mm 1911s

Have you tried any other brand of ammo?

Back
Top Bottom