• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Squirrel Hunting at WMAs

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
After seeing the delicious squirrel recipes posted in here recently I want to get out and do a bit of squirrel hunting before the season ends next month, any tips on which WMAs are the best for squirrels? never hunted squirrels before, total newb so any advice is welcome.

Sometimes we never see a thing, but my father and I have fox squirrel hunted a Charlie Elliot WMA! I wouldnt step foot on their target range they have unless I wanted another gun shot wound, lol, but we have both seen man grey squirrels and a few fox's at it. Good luck either way. Its a fun hunt

That was where I looking mainly, is there a specific area I need to go to hunt squirrel or can I go anywhere inside the entire Clybel WMA area? Any places you recommend?

Cant help on the WMA's but where ever you go get there early. Find a stand of oaks and sit still for say 30 minutes at least. If there are no sign of any ease on to another spot and do the same. Often you will hear them digging in the leaves for acorns. If you startle one while moving just sit still and it will be back out soon. If there are a lot of them playing in high trees and you pop one just let it lay. Often you can get several more and then pick them all up at once. Good luck and good eating!!

Cant help on the WMA's but where ever you go get there early. Find a stand of oaks and sit still for say 30 minutes at least. If there are no sign of any ease on to another spot and do the same. Often you will hear them digging in the leaves for acorns. If you startle one while moving just sit still and it will be back out soon. If there are a lot of them playing in high trees and you pop one just let it lay. Often you can get several more and then pick them all up at once. Good luck and good eating!!
Excellent advise. You've done this before. :-)

During the warm days,the evening is the best,at least on Paulding Forest.I find places where there are a lotta den trees,sit down,and wait.Sometimes I slip along until I find them,then sit .I usually shoot several at a time before I get up and go get them.I use a .22 mag,and have only had one crawl off(since I went from a LR to a Mag) after being shot.Pulled him out of a hollow log with a greenbrier.If they are close enough,I shoot for the head.The ones far off,I usually shoot broadside,which guts `em on the spot.I use hollowpoints.

Back
Top Bottom