• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

SS vs plastic

Nat

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
211   0
Reaction score
How is it or why do I keep seeing plastic revolvers inching up in price to be equal with SS revolvers. There is a plastic .357 revolver, here on ODT, for the same asking as a Ruger SP101. Even the plastic .22lr revolvers are higher than at the first of the year. Am I missing something?

Rant over.

I think that's just general pricing. Even ARs are starting to increase a bit lately, and the new, lightweight revolvers like the LCR are starting to catch on.

More demand means that they don't get discounted as heavily at a guess. I know I'm not seeing the 'base' 38 Spl LCR for the sub-$400 prices I used to see on it.

Also, if you look at the J Frame market, they seem to be actually dropping their prices on the 'standard' models. I'm not sure if that's true of the SP-101s, but they are definitely not selling as well as they were before the polymer revolvers came out.

I really expect Ruger to stop production of the SP-101s sometime soon anyway. It's an old design and expensive to make. The LCRs are far better carry guns, and the GPs are better for general use. The Sps are neither fish nor fowl in the lineup anymore. I think the only thing keeping it alive is that the LCR lineup isn't complete yet in all the calibers and barrel lengths the SP still sells in.

Reactions: Nat
prices too damn high.jpg

How is it or why do I keep seeing plastic revolvers inching up in price to be equal with SS revolvers. There is a plastic .357 revolver, here on ODT, for the same asking as a Ruger SP101. Even the plastic .22lr revolvers are higher than at the first of the year. Am I missing something?

Rant over.
If people buy them they will get more expensive , cash talks !!!

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

In a .357 mag small revolver, I want the weight of a steel frame. I have shot those scandium alloy frame 357's and they hurt!
I can pop off five rounds pretty fast with one, but my groups are big, I flinch like crazy, and my hand stings.

For a .38 spl (even +P) pocket gun, a polymer frame is fine. So is a metal alloy like titanium, scandium, aluminum or unobtanium.

I see the LCR's that are selling being listed between $350-$385. The SP101's that sell are listed between $400-$450. I think some like he steel for durability and shoot ability. I think the polymer for carry. Some value the attributes differently.
I wouldn't want to shoot 357 in either.

b There is a plastic .357 revolver, here on ODT, for the same asking as a Ruger SP101. Even the plastic .22lr revolvers are higher than at the first of the year. Am I missing something?

Why I have zero interest in plastic revolvers, and little interest in plastic semi-autos.

Even small premium is worth an all metal gun that you know will still be around and usable (if it hasn't be confiscated) 100 years from now.

In a .357 mag small revolver, I want the weight of a steel frame. I have shot those scandium alloy frame 357's and they hurt!
I can pop off five rounds pretty fast with one, but my groups are big, I flinch like crazy, and my hand stings.

For a .38 spl (even +P) pocket gun, a polymer frame is fine. So is a metal alloy like titanium, scandium, aluminum or unobtanium.

Try the 357 LCR. It's more comfortable with full-house 357s than an all steel J-frame or SP-101, let alone one of the Scandium nightmares. Just like in a pistol, the polymer flexes a bit, soaking up a lot of recoil. Just one of the many reasons the LCR is the best snubby (for carry) out there right now, bar none.

My alloy 38 starts to feels uncomfortable after 10 rounds with +p ammo. Cant imagine full 357s in a plastic gun. The 686+1 I had felt very comfortable shooting though. As far as price, I think its stupid for poly to cost anywhere near a metal gun. I "heard" it costs Glock $20 to make a pistol maybe less. No features that would increase the cost of manufacturing are added (good sights/trigger) but they keep creeping up in price.

Back
Top Bottom