• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Stainless tumbling

that video on how to stainless just made up my mind to stick with dry media , walnut and shiny goop. works well, less steps. I do like the ability to clean the primer pockets with it though.

I just got some from Stainless Tumbling Media and it works really well. I don't have a drum type tumbler so I can only do small lots since you use water in the process.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

I purchased one of thier complete kits in order to clean my suppressor baffles. I have only used it a handful of times so far but have been pleased with the results. Costly investment up front but it has saved me a lot of time manually scrapeing the lead off.

These are a few pictures of my recent wet SS media tumbler build and my reloading setup I put together about two months ago. I have a total of $18.00 in the tumbler. This was for the water cooler and drive belt. The rest of the parts come from a few years of scrap pile finds. Being a hoarder does have its benefits. The cooler is great for small batches but I am in the process of building a couple more drums for different size batches.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 10
For anyone interested I am in the process of acquiring and testing some new stainless media. It is not pins appears to be small enough to clean well. The big thing is I will be able to sell it for about $4.00 a pound. I will keep y'all up to date and put up some test results. I do have some of the SS pin media to compare.

No arguments from me about how good the stainless system is, but for pistols, what is the point if you are not shooting over 30 yards for accuracy?

And, even if you are shooting long range pistol, if you are not taking the time to sort your brass into groups of same brand and case weight, you are not going to get better shooting results with bright and shiny brass as compared to regular vibratory cleaned brass.

Rifles shooters will see the biggest benefit -- it is easier to examine the brass for cracks and weaknesses. The clean primer pockets and case necks are nice and saves two steps in rifle loading.

I just would not get too obsessed with it if it does not improve the final outcome.

I have tumbler that I made from an old tread mill. There are several u-tube videos of similar tools. I run mine with dry media. It is not as good as my Lyman 1200, but it will do over 1000 45s at a time.

Back
Top Bottom