• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Staked castle nut removal?

militaryrednek

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
75   0
Reaction score
so whats the best way to remove a staked castle nut? i want to put on a magpul ambi sling adapter back there, but the spikes complete lower i bought has a staked castle nut. i dont want to risk damaging/twisting the lower getting it off.

Just take it off as normal. The stake will more than likely just break off. It will come off a lot easier than you think. Just stake in another notch when you put it back on.

Just take it off as normal. The stake will more than likely just break off. It will come off a lot easier than you think. Just stake in another notch when you put it back on.

thanks, appreciate it. ill probably get a new castle nut so i dont have to keep it staked. i really dont see a reason for that nut to be staked personally.

since im getting the new magpul backplate/castle nut and dont have to worry about the one thats on there, could i use a flat bladed screwdriver and hammer to try and punch it back so it comes off easier if i can get it off easily with a ar wrench?

thanks, appreciate it. ill probably get a new castle nut so i dont have to keep it staked. i really dont see a reason for that nut to be staked personally.

since im getting the new magpul backplate/castle nut and dont have to worry about the one thats on there, could i use a flat bladed screwdriver and hammer to try and punch it back so it comes off easier if i can get it off easily with a ar wrench?

The nut isn't staked, it's the end plate. You will be fine reusing your castle nut. I'm not going into the stake or not debate again...lol To each their own on that one!

Last edited:
The nut isn't staked, it's the end plate. You will be fine reusing your castle nut. I'm not going into the stake or not debate again...lol To each their own in that one!

lol yeah, figured that would be a fun heated debate lol. oh ok, so its the endplate that gets punched down to stake into the castle nut, so the castle nut wont be marred up from it hopefully. gotta have my battle rifle looking pretty ya know haha!!

lol yeah, figured that would be a fun heated debate lol. oh ok, so its the endplate that gets punched down to stake into the castle nut, so the castle nut wont be marred up from it hopefully. gotta have my battle rifle looking pretty ya know haha!!

your castle nut may get a little bit of marking by your spanner wrench, but nothing a touch up pen won't fix, if you even care. The stake more than likely won't leave much of a mark that you will even care about.

thanks, appreciate it. ill probably get a new castle nut so i dont have to keep it staked. i really dont see a reason for that nut to be staked personally. since im getting the new magpul backplate/castle nut and dont have to worry about the one thats on there, could i use a flat bladed screwdriver and hammer to try and punch it back so it comes off easier if i can get it off easily with a ar wrench?
You run a much larger risk of messing something up trying that than if you just put your big boy pants on and unscrew the castle nut.

Back
Top Bottom