• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Starting a martial arts school

My advice is to find a fitness center that will let you teach as part of their services. Your liability worries will typically be covered under their blanket liability coverage. Be fair warned, "teaching" martial arts can become a very disenchanting experience. And the density of schools are extremely high these days, in fact a dime a dozen. I have advised many over the years to not "go commercial (full time)" but to keep it small, simple, and at will. The few that did not heed my advise later told me they wished that they did. Not trying to be negative it's just a road that I traveled for a long time. Best of luck.

My advice is to find a fitness center that will let you teach as part of their services. Your liability worries will typically be covered under their blanket liability coverage. Be fair warned, "teaching" martial arts can become a very disenchanting experience. And the density of schools are extremely high these days, in fact a dime a dozen. I have advised many over the years to not "go commercial (full time)" but to keep it small, simple, and at will. The few that did not heed my advise later told me they wished that they did. Not trying to be negative it's just a road that I traveled for a long time. Best of luck.

I taught for 20 years, so this is nothing new to me. I'm not seeing schools as being a dime a dozen at all around here. In comparison to 20 years ago, we have a small fraction of the schools we once had. And yes, like I stated in the op, this will be a small project and there's no way I will be betting the farm on it. I have a full time job and this will be something for fun. Still, I will need to be insured and have waivers. The insurance should run around $10-$15 per student, and will be part to their dues. I have students already lined up, and if they want me to teach them, they must 1. Make it worth my time and 2. Be willing to take responsibility for their own insurance costs, which will be a part of their dues, anyway.

I'm fully aware of the non lucrative nature of gyms in general. I have a couple friends who own or have owned gyms. This will not be a gym, so to speak...I also have several acquaintances and two close friends who are or were owners of martial arts schools, one of them an MMA gym, and they have advised me as well. No way I will dive into something head first without checking it out thoroughly. I will be small and cheap, but the school will be good. I believe I have a plan that is better than most. I just have a few more details to work out, the insurance being one of them.

Thanks for your input.

Ah I forgot to mention I won't use a public gym because I won't be open for the public. It will be a private venture, for folks I already know and a few folks they know, by referral only. I have enough good people already lined up, so I have no worries about having students. If it rapidly grows, I may move to a bigger place and open up to more of the public, but honestly, I don't really want to. My only concerns at this point are liabilities and legalities.

So at the encouragement of some folks around me, and a couple of teenagers who have literally begged me to teach them, I am seriously considering opening a martial arts school. It will be street defense oriented, and will primarily focus on avoid, defend, escape. Violent force will be a last resort, when guns either aren't available at hand, or unnecessary. It will also promote self discipline and positivity, along with confidence building and better physical fitness.

I am not soliciting for students here. I am hoping to solicit ideas and perhaps advice from legal minded folks and fellow business owners in regards to waivers, insurance, etc. I have acquired some waivers that I believe will suffice. I will definitely have an attorney who specializes in liabilities to take a look to see that everything is covered. Also, I have taught for many years and understand how much of this works already, but I have never been a school owner. Besides insurance and waivers of liability, is there anything else I should consider to protect myself? This question can be answered by other business owners of any type of business where liability waivers and insurance are a necessity.

I plan to start small and cheap. I am actively seeking out possible locations, including one room deals inside already established businesses. My church is a definite possibility. This is not some impulsive decision either. I have been studying on it for a long while (25+ years LOL) and though I am still not 100% on pursuing this, I am very close. Furthermore, this will not be my full time gig. It is simply a more fun and interesting way to earn a small second income. I don't plan or want a big school. Just a few serious, dedicated students who bring the mindset of helping one another. I already have some students lined up.

I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but we do have some business owners on here who are pretty sharp, so I figured it could not hurt to ask. Any advice, tips, etc will be appreciated. Trolls please troll elsewhere. Gracias
Keep your expenses as low as possible to start especially since not a full time gig where you have to build a large clientele to pay yourself a salary. I studied martial arts years ago and I think the dues were small or even nonexistent. We met in school gyms and other free venues, sometimes even parks. This was not a business so your model, especially if you want to grow it to a full time job would be different. I would interview my prospective students and weed out those who seem likely to get you sued or bring a bad rep to the school. Waivers, as stated. Find an insurance agent familiar with this specific business type. You might approach fitness centers, especially locally owned types, and see if you could conduct classes there for a split of the revenue. Trainers where I work out pay out 25%, a fitness center might even let you keep all the money as it might potentially bring people in their food. You might also come under their insurance policy.
Just dome random thoughts. Best of luck.

Reactions: MRH
d1e2bcd3255ed00943fcf54f7d187e57.jpg

As a former American karate & ****o ryu 5th Dan instructor.......not the best idea if you want to actually teach what works. I stopped when all the dojo's became a glorified daycare.

pm me if you would like info on the waivers and specifics on the buisness side.

Back
Top Bottom