• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Starting a martial arts school

Any thoughts to a SD course for womens? Just thinking it may be something my wife might benefit from.

Yes rape is something I have taught a lot. We used to host a rape prevention class every Saturday and those women learned how to be vicious. LOL... I try to make it realistic, or as realistic as possible without instilling too much fear. I learned early on this is an area where things get crazy sensitive and some delicacy must be exercised. It is a fine line for an instructor to walk because rape is an ugly, horrible thing and at the same time women are delicate creatures...Some of them are, anyway.

As a former American karate & ****o ryu 5th Dan instructor.......not the best idea if you want to actually teach what works. I stopped when all the dojo's became a glorified daycare.

pm me if you would like info on the waivers and specifics on the buisness side.

I will not have a daycare. I have over 20 years teaching experience and with adults it has never been a daycare.

Again, for those who have not read through the entire thread, I am not looking for students at this time. I do not plan to be open to the public in the beginning, and will not be teaching any children. I have students lined up already and my concerns are mostly legalities and liabilities.

So at the encouragement of some folks around me, and a couple of teenagers who have literally begged me to teach them, I am seriously considering opening a martial arts school. It will be street defense oriented, and will primarily focus on avoid, defend, escape. Violent force will be a last resort, when guns either aren't available at hand, or unnecessary. It will also promote self discipline and positivity, along with confidence building and better physical fitness.

I am not soliciting for students here. I am hoping to solicit ideas and perhaps advice from legal minded folks and fellow business owners in regards to waivers, insurance, etc. I have acquired some waivers that I believe will suffice. I will definitely have an attorney who specializes in liabilities to take a look to see that everything is covered. Also, I have taught for many years and understand how much of this works already, but I have never been a school owner. Besides insurance and waivers of liability, is there anything else I should consider to protect myself? This question can be answered by other business owners of any type of business where liability waivers and insurance are a necessity.

I plan to start small and cheap. I am actively seeking out possible locations, including one room deals inside already established businesses. My church is a definite possibility. This is not some impulsive decision either. I have been studying on it for a long while (25+ years LOL) and though I am still not 100% on pursuing this, I am very close. Furthermore, this will not be my full time gig. It is simply a more fun and interesting way to earn a small second income. I don't plan or want a big school. Just a few serious, dedicated students who bring the mindset of helping one another. I already have some students lined up.

I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but we do have some business owners on here who are pretty sharp, so I figured it could not hurt to ask. Any advice, tips, etc will be appreciated. Trolls please troll elsewhere. Gracias
I applaud your desire and commitment. The thing I found when trying to get some training for my son when he was young. The school was hell bent on getting him on a signed contract for 6 months or a year.

I trained in Aikido and the wife was black/brown in karate/kung Fu. While we felt that there was much to gain from formal training. The school refused an offer to pay cash monthly.

The business of martial arts is money. Not necessarily training.

I hope you find your niche.

Reactions: MRH
I applaud your desire and commitment. The thing I found when trying to get some training for my son when he was young. The school was hell bent on getting him on a signed contract for 6 months or a year.

I trained in Aikido and the wife was black/brown in karate/kung Fu. While we felt that there was much to gain from formal training. The school refused an offer to pay cash monthly.

The business of martial arts is money. Not necessarily training.

I hope you find your niche.

Thanks. Unfortunately you are right about the business side of it, and how it outweighs good training when you're dealing with someone who has everything tied up in it. I've seen it up close and personal. Years ago I trained in one federation that was about nothing but money. Testing? Pay your money and show up. No skills necessary. This is a large federation based here in Ga, and it is still happening today. It amazes me how so many folks can be willing to pay their money and buy their belts. I didn't last long there. LOL...I don't even care about belts. To me they're nothing more than a way to hold our pants up. Sure, I see the benefit in having a goal oriented mindset, and I suppose that's why some people need the belt system. It gives them a new level and challenge to shoot for, to periodically feel a sense of accomplishment, and to have some documentation of their achievements, so there's nothing wrong with that IF they really improve and earn it. The problem is some schools, especially the business minded ones, have 15 different belt levels, at $50-$100 per test, and as long as you pay and show up, you pass. That's never been the way I was taught. My instructors beat my ass, and didn't care if they hurt my feelings. If I didn't earn it, I didn't get it.

It's a shame that nowadays the snowflake society has degraded real martial arts training to the daycare, soft approach that teaches a student that money buys them promotions. There's no discipline in that...It's also a shame, IMO, that I felt the need to start a thread asking for opinions and advice about waivers and insurance. I'm pretty certain I have signed a waiver before training with an instructor, but I can't really remember, and with me it wasn't at all necessary, although the instructor at the time didn't know that. If I got hurt it was my choice to be there and to get with the program of being roughed up. Hell, I loved it. When I got beat up, I learned. That's what I paid for!

I like that you're mixing western boxing in. I think that's often overlooked with the jui jitsu craze over the past few years. Dont get me wrong, jui jitsu is pretty damn effective. Just used to box as a kid and I have found it very beneficial training throughout my life.

“Glorified daycare” martial arts classes can be a great influence on the young students, depending on the instructor, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom