• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Starting a martial arts school

Been a while since I've heard that. LOL...But glad you showed up! I forgot that I have at least one old friend on here who can speak for my qualifications and experience. Bearpugh could have too, God bless him.

I like that you're mixing western boxing in. I think that's often overlooked with the jui jitsu craze over the past few years. Dont get me wrong, jui jitsu is pretty damn effective. Just used to box as a kid and I have found it very beneficial training throughout my life.

Boxing is a science. No mistake about it. I've kicked some ass at Holyfield arena quite a few times. Holyfield himself was ringside when I knocked a guy through the ropes and down to the floor.

I mix it up with standing and ground fighting, with every dirty trick in the book. My focus is on street defense.

As for BJJ, it is a great style, along with Judo, Sambo, freestyle, etc. but has it's limitations like any other art. It also has lots of rules in the competitive arena. It is very effective for one on one, especially if the opponent has weak take down defense, but two or three on one makes a BJJ only practitioner quite vulnerable. Nowadays most MMA gyms teach both stand up and ground fighting. No way around it, they have to.

“Glorified daycare” martial arts classes can be a great influence on the young students, depending on the instructor, IMO.

I can't disagree, but the false sense of security that often accompanies such training can be detrimental to one's health.

Thanks. Unfortunately you are right about the business side of it, and how it outweighs good training when you're dealing with someone who has everything tied up in it. I've seen it up close and personal. Years ago I trained in one federation that was about nothing but money. Testing? Pay your money and show up. No skills necessary. This is a large federation based here in Ga, and it is still happening today. It amazes me how so many folks can be willing to pay their money and buy their belts. I didn't last long there. LOL...I don't even care about belts. To me they're nothing more than a way to hold our pants up. Sure, I see the benefit in having a goal oriented mindset, and I suppose that's why some people need the belt system. It gives them a new level and challenge to shoot for, to periodically feel a sense of accomplishment, and to have some documentation of their achievements, so there's nothing wrong with that IF they really improve and earn it. The problem is some schools, especially the business minded ones, have 15 different belt levels, at $50-$100 per test, and as long as you pay and show up, you pass. That's never been the way I was taught. My instructors beat my ass, and didn't care if they hurt my feelings. If I didn't earn it, I didn't get it.

It's a shame that nowadays the snowflake society has degraded real martial arts training to the daycare, soft approach that teaches a student that money buys them promotions. There's no discipline in that...It's also a shame, IMO, that I felt the need to start a thread asking for opinions and advice about waivers and insurance. I'm pretty certain I have signed a waiver before training with an instructor, but I can't really remember, and with me it wasn't at all necessary, although the instructor at the time didn't know that. If I got hurt it was my choice to be there and to get with the program of being roughed up. Hell, I loved it. When I got beat up, I learned. That's what I paid for!
I have never been involved at that level. I took Aikido classes from Mits Yama****a (google that name and watch the videos) in college and ended up training with Mits at a judo studio run by a Ralph (drawing a blank on the last here) at on my off night when I worked nights.

The judo studio was run by a former Judo Olympic coach and Long Beach Pier Police officer. Mits rented the space on Ralph’s off time. They did Tuesday and Thursday nights and mornings on Saturday.

Because of my work schedule I could only go one night a week, but was amazingly effective in my LEO capacity. I don’t think I ever even tested for a belt. I know I practiced and implemented the skills taught.

My wife did the whole Karate/kung fu thing and because of all the aggression outside of the dojos, would only wear a white belt walking to and from events in china town and on the stree going to public events. The ultimate Camouflage!

Assuming you will be physically touching students, I would recommend abuse coverage, if it fits what you are doing. A lot of sports camps and teams require this type of coverage.

Back
Top Bottom