Steel cased ammo

I’ve shot a lot of steel case, mainly coated 9mm and 7.62x39. I have had few issues with full 9mm extraction and a couple bad primers. It’s the only time my Glocks had issues.
I use it for shooting outdoor while plinking. I see no issue with using it if you can find it now. I don’t use it for personnel defense, only top quality ammo there.

I bought some 38special ammo for training. The steel case is less elastic than brass. The steel case expands and nearly impossible to eject.

In order to eject the steel empties. We had to press the ejector rod against something hard like a wood bench or shooting rest.
Your sure it was steel case? I have only had that issue when I mistakenly loaded aluminum case in my spinner.

Your sure it was steel case? I have only had that issue when I mistakenly loaded aluminum case in my spinner.
Absolutely! Stocking stuffers a couple of years ago. I gave everybody in my family an S&W 642CT, 1k of steel ammo and 250 rounds of Critical Defence. Plus each got a cleaning kit I put together with my prefered stuff, speed loaders, speed strips, and enough money to buy themselves their favourite holster.

I’ve seen it with .38 Special steel-cased ammo. Most recently, had a student show up for some private training. The majority of their steel casings would not come out of the chambers without using force.

I supplied them with some brass-cased .38 Special and the problem went away.

I’ve seen it with .38 Special steel-cased ammo. Most recently, had a student show up for some private training. The majority of their steel casings would not come out of the chambers without using force.

I supplied them with some brass-cased .38 Special and the problem went away.

In any case, I think the lesson here is steel case is fine for semi-auto but no bueno for revolvers.

The stuff I was shooting, now keep in mind I had just gotten my first revolver, was aluminum in a Chiappa Rhino. Shoulda seen the look on my face when it was time to eject....those sum'bitches were not coming out without a fight.

Absolutely! Stocking stuffers a couple of years ago. I gave everybody in my family an S&W 642CT, 1k of steel ammo and 250 rounds of Critical Defence. Plus each got a cleaning kit I put together with my prefered stuff, speed loaders, speed strips, and enough money to buy themselves their favourite holster.
Noted, I'll keep the brass for the spinners and steel case for my semi-auto and bolt actions.

How do I get on your Christmas list?

Your question is very board and without context. I would be specific in your question so we can answer it specifically.

A more extreme example would be this. Is it bad to run Diesel fuel in my truck? I have no idea, ask the company that made your truck. If its an F150 Gas echo boost, yes its very bad to try to run Diesel, but if its an a diesel F350 no its fine.

I think steel cased is 100% fine in AK, SKS, Mosin Nagants, it was designed for that ammo and should work as DESIGNED. So check to see what your weapon was designed FOR, then if you use the correct ammo it should work and not have issues.

Also are you asking is the gun going to blow up and cause injury if I use steel case ammo? That is very different than if you asked should I use steel case ammo in my personal defense gun?

Now if you just want to plink, a lot of people pink with steel, with no issues.

So the answer it like most things in life it "depends".......

Good luck and stay safe!

Back
Top Bottom