• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

STG58 will not cycle

KNO3

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
21   0
Reaction score
I have an STG58 on an Imbel receiver. It was purchased 20 years ago. It will fire the first round but not cycle another round into the chamber. Ultimately I have a single shot rifle. A buddy of mine tinkered with it for 9 years but it still will not cycle. Its an inch pattern and numerous parts have been swapped out. Anyone have any ideas or interested in trying to repair for a reasonable price. I'm in East Point.

Could be a magazine issue. Have you tried different inch pattern mags to eliminate that possibility?

If you can’t figure it out I would send it to Arizona Response Systems and let them make it right.....but be prepared to pay, good FN gunsmithing ain’t cheap.

Could be a magazine issue. Have you tried different inch pattern mags to eliminate that possibility?

If you can’t figure it out I would send it to Arizona Response Systems and let them make it right.....but be prepared to pay, good FN gunsmithing ain’t cheap.
That's why it has been a single shot rifle for almost 20 years! I have tried various magazines. It has to be an issue with the gas since it will not cycle. I appreciate the response.

Check the adjuster's installed correctly and the gas tube and piston are straight and the recoil spring can be full compressed.

That's why it has been a single shot rifle for almost 20 years! I have tried various magazines. It has to be an issue with the gas since it will not cycle. I appreciate the response.
It could be the gas system. It could be an out of spec bolt carrier, bolt, gas piston, carrier receiver rail interface. So many things that the untrained eye might be able to diagnose, or maybe not. After 20 years s I would send it off the a quality gunsmith and finally enjoy the fruit of his skilled labor and the awesome battle rifle the FAL is. Good luck no matter the path you choose.

Back
Top Bottom