• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stihl- MS291 warranty issue- need advice from chainsaw guys

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
I have been on the Chainsaw thread here for a bit last Spring/Summer trying to figure out what type of chainsaw to get since I am in the woods. I bought from my local ACE hardware, in the very small town I am in, a Stihl MS291, back at the end of September 2022. Bought the Stihl fuel as well for the extended warranty.

I purchased from a small local store in my town because I wanted to give back to the local owners and community. I could have easily bought online or big box, but did not since I see my local hardware owners at the grocery store, theater, restaurants, etc., and like how they contribute to local businesses, and I preferred to contribute as well.

Used the saw for literally, no more than 3 hours...really. First hour was piddling between 3 days cutting up very small branches I had laying around. Then, when I last used the saw, it was in March 2023, where I had to cut a 10 foot section up from a 2.5' base wide tree (not sure the circumference). Saw worked great, no issues whatsoever. NO ONE else used my saw, as I am the only one with access to it.

Took it out yesterday, since I last used in March, and it would not start.. Prior to attempt to start, I gave it a once over making sure it had fuel and oil for the chain. Cranked about 10 times, then I started hearing some rattling and the rope got hard to pull. Stopped dicking with it and brought it down to my local ACE hardware where I bought it and they have a small engine shop onsite. This was Saturday. Got the call today that all the internals are fried, as if the saw was run with the brake on. I am not a chainsaw guy but know that if the brake was on, and anything was burning up or not running right I would have either smelled something burning or the performance would not have been there for me to cut up the tree that I cut up in March. Again, the last time I used it, it ran perfect enough to do the job.

*** Need to add....When I tried cranking on Saturday morning with the 10 pulls, the first 7-8 were easy but felt like I was not getting fuel. The last 2 or 3 were extremely hard.

How does this work where I don't want my local ACE people to think I am one of those whiney Walmart/Home Depot/Lowe customers who says I never touched it and everything broke, etc., and want something for nothing. I deal with so much of that in my real life job that it totally turns me off. I was up front and 110% honest with my local ACE guy who said it is not under warranty due to abuse, even though it is 11 months old.

I called Stihl and they have to investigate and get back to me with findings, but want me to take it to another Stihl dealer for their analysis. More time away from using my first ever brand new Stihl saw.

So, am I up shiites creek, or will Stihl honor my warranty? If not, I am pretty sure, if not dead positive, I will be buying a Husqvarna next. I know a lot of you guys are Stihl guys, but it seems like I always get stuck with the gremlins particularly on new nice things I get. Is this possible based on how I described or is my wife sneaking into the garage and using my chainsaw to cut up trees while I am out of town?

That stinks!...I hate it when I have high expectations for a product and it disappoints like that. If you do have to get another saw, unless you are really attached to gas, it sounds like your usage is perfect for a quality electric chainsaw. They have come a LONG way especially for every once in a while around the house usage.

I have one gas saw, but I am converting my normal use saws to electric, I don't need one very often and when I do I don't want to wonder if it will start because I didn't use it for a year before I needed it. The bonus is, they are way more convenient to throw in the truck on a camping or off-roading trip.

Hopefully the other shop will take care of you.

The thing is the chain should not move period when the chain brake is locked in, with that said sounds more like it locked up possibly from sitting and maybe moisture got in the cylinder? Was the fuel mixed properly?
Sounds to me like either the automatic oiler isn't working or it didn't have enough bar oil to start with. There also could have been an issue with the fuel/oil mix.

Manage a company that run stihls daily. Just echoing what others have said about fuel/oil mix. Unsure what internals are fried means exactly, but usually when I see this it locks up when run with straight gas. As far as the brake engagement, afaik it functions as sort of a neutral setting and revving it does nothing and generally that's how we warm them up. Brake engaged and the chain wouldn't move whatsoever. I think a second opinion as a small machine mech is your next move.

Running with the brake on would only smoke the clutch eventually, but this sounds like fuel/oil mixture, or the clutch is froze🤷🏻‍♂️

The chain brake on those saws are internal, the only way I can think that the chain brake/clutch burned is if there was no bar oil, and ran wide open for a while with the brake on. If it got to where the pull rope would not pull, sounds like it locked up , if it sat for months then it is likely the cylinder did not have any oil in it and while trying to start could have built up heat causing the cylinder to seize up. I try and spray wd49 or the likes in the spark plug hole before trying to start anything 2 cycle that has sat for a while to avoid seizing or extra wear on the piston.

Bring it to me to look at. I was the highest certified Stihl tech you can get for 10 years. I still have hook ups with people at howard brothers and could get them to look at it too.

You got it. Will contact you after Stihl calls me back. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom