• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Stop leaving guns in your cars..

lilred06

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
I know I’m probably preaching to the choir here but we had this situation yesterday.

As I come on in the morning we get a BOLO for a stolen car and inside the car was a pistol, so now criminals are armed. Later in the day we get a call about a man shot, it wasn’t my call so I don’t know many details but sounded as if it was an armed robbery gone sideways. A little later we get the same BOLO for the stolen car, but now details are added that it’s occupied by murder suspects from the earlier shooting.

Stop arming criminals, don’t leave unsecured weapons in your cars. That is all

In our low crime neighborhood 35 cars were broken into in a 1 month period. We moved to Walton county where groups of young men drive over to break into cars on rainy nights and harvest guns. My friend had both his carry and competition gun and bag taken from unlocked truck. What a dumb ass. I think he also had gun stickers.

I know people with guns laying all over their home that take walks with the garage and doors unlocked. If your gun isn't on you it needs to be secured. Common sense is not common.

No, it's not the gun owner's fault for being the victim of a crime. It's the criminal's fault. Period.

But I see it as a mitigation of risk. We know there are bad guys out there. We know there is a possibility of being robbed. Folks didn't use to lock their doors at night before they went to bed. Anyone NOT lock their doors before going to bed? Before going on vacation?

So if I don't want my property stolen I will secure it to mitigate the risks of losing said property.

I don't keep a firearm in any of my vehicles. But I am guilty of keeping one unsecured in my bedside table. But with layers of defense I'm not too worried about that one. And it goes in the safe when I go on vacation.

I think it boils down to being lazy. Probably one of the reasons I pocket carry an LCP all the time. Even in the house. Too lazy to strap up my 1911 in 10mm every time I run an errand. 1911 in 10mm = modern Fudd.

Vehicles are too easy to enter. Why risk losing a piece of your valuable property? Would you leave $500 in cash in your vehicle without securing it somehow?

The vehicle gun theft problem sure seems familiar to me. Except I don't have thieves, I have bears. Nothing smelly can be left outside or else the bears destroy it. So I must keep everything secure and have metal locking trash cans. I don't like it but the bears always show up when I least expect them.

Back
Top Bottom