• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suggestion for two way radios

I use Icom UHF commercial mobile radios on GMRS as my wife doesn't have a ham license. I also have a GMRS repeater. For my ham use I use Yaesu HF, VHF-UHF radios. It is nice to have digital modes available to keep scanner owners from listening in. I have considered switching to DMR units for GMRS.

No guarantee if or how long repeaters will be working in a shtf scenario as they require power...will depend entirely on their backup plan...
True, I know on Pine Mountain, the battery alone will last for a full week (a breaker popped and nobody realized it until the repeater became flakey). Point is, if you're looking for range, the ONLY way you're going to get beyond a mile with a handheld is with a repeater. Best option is to outfit your truck with a good mobile unit and situate it as high as you can for good coms.

Carry a Beofeng in my bag daily. You never know.
Have you taught others how to use it? For me the hard part is getting my family members mildly comfortable with using the gear. For us who make the escape plans and buy the stuff, we get into it. But I find it's the others who need convincing, coaxing, encouraging...

Get the whatever version of the baofeng 5w ham radio is current. We love ours. It's pretty useful listening to local stuff and also use it for FM radio sometimes out in the woods. Battery last a long time when you aren't transmitting. I'm pretty sure you can set the power to half a watt and use the fmrs channels legally without ham license. The bigger antenna also seems to help with fm stations. I know just enough to be dangerous and that's it. So if anyone knows better or something I said is incorrect feel free to correct me.
I don’t think I would much care about breaking FFC rules in a SHTF situation. Sounds like Ham radio would be the best bet.

We use Motorola radio's at work, when I was working in Midtown I was talking with my old boss as he crossed 285 at 400. These are not cheap radios but the have some awesome range. It really impressed me.

Back
Top Bottom