• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Survival Trip to Cohutta 10/23 & 10/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Met with Jsquared this morning. Sounds like we have everything worked out so far.

Another guy and I are leaving Friday around lunch and we are going on out. Jsquared
is coming up Saturday morning. Me and the other guy are going out and going to camp
close to the junction of the two trails, Conasauga River and Chestnut lead. We will meet
the rest who comes up Saturday at that junction whenever you guys think you can get there.
If anybody else wants to leave out Friday with us, that is fine. We can meet at the trailhead.

I am going to make some single page copies of the custom topo map I have of the area so
everybody will have one. I also wanted to mention that I have a bunch of camping gear if anybody
needs any for the trip. I don't want somebody not to go because they don't have the stuff. I have
4 Alice packs (1 with aluminum frame) if anybody needs a pack. Please post up if you are missing any
gear so can collectively get everything together.

Last edited:
OK, looks like me and joneill are planning to come up Saturday morning, leaving the metro area around 7:30 to drive up.

How about meeting at the intersection of the approach trail and the river trail at noon?

Also, can we get a list of who all is coming? I would hate to have someone running late that we don't know about and miss them at the meet up.

1. JJ (me)
2. John O.
3. Tony
4. Tony's buddy

OK, looks like me and joneill are planning to come up Saturday morning, leaving the metro area around 7:30 to drive up.

How about meeting at the intersection of the approach trail and the river trail at noon?

Also, can we get a list of who all is coming? I would hate to have someone running late that we don't know about and miss them at the meet up.

1. JJ (me)
2. John O.
3. Tony
4. Tony's buddy

Outlander (Rob) said he was coming up Saturday around noon. Mosby (Dave) might ride up with us, I haven't heard back from him yet. Buckslayer (John) was saying that we should meet for breakfast Sat. morning and follow eachother up there and walk in together. He said no cell phones work up there. will let you know when i hear from Dave.

Last edited:
Outlander (Rob) said he was coming up Saturday around noon. Mosby (Dave) might ride up with us, I haven't heard back from him yet. Buckslayer (John) was saying that we should meet for breakfast Sat. morning and follow eachother up there and walk in together. He said no cell phones work up there. will let you know when i hear from Dave.

Whatever you guys decide is fine with me. I am off work Thursday on, so I can be up there anytime. I'll be coming in from the Ellijay side, so not sure how anyone else is coming up. We can either meet somewhere and go in together, or I can just try to find you on the trail. I just don't want anyone getting lost. :)

Whatever you guys decide is fine with me. I am off work Thursday on, so I can be up there anytime. I'll be coming in from the Ellijay side, so not sure how anyone else is coming up. We can either meet somewhere and go in together, or I can just try to find you on the trail. I just don't want anyone getting lost. :)

I would rather walk in together. me and JJ woul be coming up from Alharetta up 575 to ellijay. maybe we can meet up with you in ellijay and drive up together.

This is getting a little bit overcomplicated, guys. Lets keep it simple. I would rather not have a bunch of meetings and such before the hike, when that happens you always run late (each meeting takes time, then people are late getting there, and we talk, and pretty soon its an hour later and we are 2 hours late to the trail). I would say having one meeting time for everyone is the best bet.

Here is the schedule I am planning:

7:30 - Start driving

9:30-10:00 - Arrive at Chestnut trailhead

10:00-11:00 - Gearup/snack/snooze/wait for people to get to trailhead

11:00 - Start hike to rendezvous point

11:45-12:00 - Arrive at rendezvous point

12:00-1:00 - Drop gear/scout/snack/meet with group at rendezvous

1:00 - Start hike to camp

So, for anyone wanting to walk the trail together, be at the trailhead with a big smile (so we know its you :) ) ready to hike by 11:00 SHARP and we should be good. For anyone showing up on their own, either before or after us, be at the rendezvous point by 1:00PM at the latest, ready to hike. Easy peasey.

For anyone wanting to walk in alone, the Chestnut trail is less than 2 miles and all marked, if you can find your way to the trailhead without getting lost on the road it should be pretty easy to follow and make the meet up with everyone.

Here is a page that shows a map of the area, and a map of the trails (ours in #18 on the second map) The rendezvous point is the end of trail #18, where it hits the river:

http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia/mountains/blue_ridge/western/cohutta_wilderness.html

And directions to the trailhead from Ellijay:

DIRECTIONS
From the Ellijay Square, take GA 52 West for 9.5 miles to Lake Conasauga Recreation Area sign. Turn right onto FS 18 and continue 3.5 miles on that road before turning right onto FS 68. Once on 68, continue straight ahead, uphill. After traveling approximately 6.0 miles on FS 68, you will reach the three-way FS 68-FS 64 junction near Potatopatch Mountain. At the FS 68-FS 64 junction, turn left toward Lake Conasauga (still following FS 68). You will see the trailhead for Chestnut Lead Trial at about 2.0 miles.

Oh and here is a link to a BIG map of the area, shows the trails in the Cohutta area well:

http://www.nierodzik.com/Nierodzik/camping/maps/Cohutta_Wilderness_1.jpg

Last edited:
Me and kchris007 are going up Friday but I still agree with JJ. One meet with one
time is alot less complicated. Chris and are going to camp close to the trail
junction and wait for you guys to arrive. Anybody that wants to come up Friday,
come on. We will meet at the trailhead.

Yeah I am not really sure when that map was published, does seem pretty old though. I looked for the Nat Geo map at REI and didn't see one for the Cohutta, thanks for the tip Im going to see if I can find a cheap one online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom