• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Survival Trip to Cohutta 10/23 & 10/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
guys, we can still do the Oct 23, 24th weekend, and maybe get together with Mark Warren another time. I have always been told, if you can learn at least 3 wild edible plants and 3 medicinal, you are way ahead of the game. Right now, just from what my grandmother showed me as a child, I know at least three edibles, but really only two medicine. I'll point them out to everyone if we see any, but it can still be a good trip. Also, check out the website www.eattheweeds.com and take a look at the youtube link to this guys videos. He has over a hundred videos on wild edible plants, and other things.

Yeah I am pretty sure everyone is still planning on going, no changes so far. Will definitely check out those videos though when I have some free time.

I talked to another friend of mine I haven't seen in about 12 years recently, and he begins to tell me about a guy who teaches wilderness survival in Dahlonega. Turns out its Mark Warren from Medicine bow, so I would still like to put a class together one weekend with Mark as he is highly recommended.

I met a guy this weekend that has gone to Mark Warrens camp for his classes. He said it was great. You basically camp out in his back yard and he takes you on hikes while teaching you whatever class you signed up for. I am definitely going to take 2-3 classes. The survival classes part 1 and 2 and the tracking class look really interesting. i'm still a go for the trip regardless.

I have went throught the maps and the hiking books that I have and made the below list of the trails
that fit what we are looking for. I have listed all the information that I can find on these as well as
a short list of the goods and bads of each trail.

Rice Camp Trail In Wilderness Horse & Backpacking 3.9 Miles
Adjoins the Jacks River Trail Several Water Crossings
Easy to moderate Popular - Heavy use
Adjoins other trails Long drive

Sumac Creek OS Wilderness Horse, bike, backpacking 6.5 Miles
Has a spur for extra travel Popular - Heavy use
Easy access Not in the Wilderness
Difficult

Hickory Creek In Wilderness Horse & Backpacking 8.7 Miles
Adjoins Conasauga River Long
Easy to Moderate Several Water Crossings
Little elevation change including the river

Penitentiary Branch In Wilderness Horse & Backpacking 3.6 Miles
Adjoins Jacks River Drops 1400’ (hike out rough)
Several Water Crossings

Chestnut Lead In Wilderness Hiking Only 1.8 Miles
Adjoins Conasauga River Short
Easy to Moderate Drops 1000’
Most diverse habitat IW Little Parking
Connects to the CRiver Trail
Close

Mountaintown Creek OS Wilderness Bike & Backpacking 5.7 Miles
Closest to everybody Multi use
Difficult
Not in the Wilderness

Tearbritches In Wilderness ????? 3.4 Miles
Easy Access Hard hike out
Adjoins Conasuaga Drops 1500’
Adjoins multiple trails Steep & Difficult

After going through it like this and reading about all of these trails, Chestnut lead sounds
to me like the best one. It is a short 2 mile hike in and a moderate hike back out. After
the 2 miles you have the option of taking the Conasuaga River Trail and going further.
I think we could set up a camp near the end of the trail close to the river and do a day hike
up or down the river trail. Good fishing and water. The bad thing is no matter where
you are in the wilderness, you cannot camp within 300' of the river unless you stay
in designated campsites.

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited:
That one sounds OK to me, a little on the short side though huh? I kinda wanted to hike more than 30 minutes from the car before camping. Was thinking closer to 5-6 miles one way.

That sounds perfect then. Maybe we can do the map reading and orienteering stuff on Saturday if we have enough time (depending on how quickly we decide to make camp). That area looks to be a little sparse for landmarks to spot on the map but the river and the terrain around it would do just as well I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom