• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sweet Potato Pie and hush my mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
If incorrect then please advise of the correct information so we can all be current.

GA SB432 for starters.

Its like marijuana, illegal on federal level, but legalized in a couple of states.

I own several autos that I've purchased online and have never had an issue receiving them.

I understand the State over riding the Federal in some examples (as you posted) and that's perfectly acceptable but not the issue. The OP wants to know if he can carry an auto knife legally (not possess or buy). I simply explained that Federal law doesn't allow them to be carried (per my code section post) unless you meet one of the exceptions.

I asked for a specific GA code section that relieves a person carrying an auto knife on his person from being in violation of the Federal code. I'm not aware of any specific section under GA law that over rides the Federal law and therefore there is no relief at the state level as there is with specific state law regarding your examples. Quote me the GA code section that is specific to the auto knife.

The bill you refer too simply removed any local (city or county) knife laws. That has no bearing on the state law over riding the federal law specific to auto knives.

This Wiki entry made me re-read your post of the Federal Statute -

The Switchblade Knife Act, (Pub.L. 85-623, 72 Stat. 562, enacted on August 12, 1958, and codified in 15 U.S.C. §§ 1241–1245), prohibits the manufacture, importation, distribution, transportation, and sale of switchblade knives in commercial transactions substantially affecting interstate commerce[54] between any state, territory, possession of the United States, or the District of Columbia, and any place outside that state, territory, U.S. possession, or the District of Columbia. The Act also prohibits possession of such knives on federal or Indian lands or on lands subject to federal jurisdiction. It does not prohibit the ownership or carrying of automatic knives or switchblades inside a state while not on federal property, nor does it prohibit the acquisition or disposition of such knives in an intrastate transaction or an interstate transaction that is noncommercial and/or does not substantially affect interstate commerce (as defined by recent decisions of the U.S. Supreme Court).

I had read the statute as covering the US. It appears it covers federal lands, but I'm no expert.

Its not against the law in Georgia to possess a switchblade or to carry one (except in off-limits locations and school zones). If the blade is over 5 inches you need a GWL.

Off limits are schools and Federal/State Bldgs, Jails, etc. the same off limit locations that you can NOT carry a weapon even with a GWL.

That said, the feds ban the sale of switchblades in interstate commerce so you can't order one through the mail, etc.

SB308.....

The Georgia Firearms License (GFL) has been changed to be a Georgia Weapons Carry License (WCL/GWL). Current GFL's are now considered WCL's so any mention of one also applies to the other.

Knives, pistols, same permit.

I carry a Benchmade auto with a pocket clip and have a permit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom