• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Switching to 308

Why not keep some in 5.56 and 7.62x39? Each round has advantages and disadvantages. For instance, a 308 SCAR is a bit overkill for home defense type engagements (excessive blast/penetration inside a house, slower to transition, less rounds in a mag, and more tiring to hold at the ready for extended periods) vs a 10.5" 5.56 or 300 BO pistol.

I think there's a place for at least two different centerfire rifle rounds (intermediate and full power) in a ballistic plan.

Just curious here. I agree with the 308 but why not a 300 blkout?? Packs a big punch and was designed for use in a SBR.
Completely different cartridges. The 308 is much more powerful than the 300Blk and has a much greater practical range. In the hands of a reasonably skilled marksman the 308 can effectively engage targets out beyond 800 yards and carries a lot more barrier penetration capability.

BTW, the 300blk does not carry a very big punch. Just moderately better than the 5.56 and that ain't saying much.

Typical muzzle energy from a 300blk is around 1350flbs. For a 308 it's around 2650flbs. Almost twice as much.

5.56 is around 1250flbs, so the 300blk really doesn't deliver that much extra at all.

Explains why I haven’t gotten one yet. I guess the billet weight of the 300blkout is deceiving then. Never looked at the ballistics of it.
Yeah, the 300blk is using the same size case as the 5.56, so what you gain in bullet weight you lose in muzzle velocity. There's only so much you can do with that small powder capacity. The real plus for the 300blk is that you have the possibility for a larger wound channel if you use the right bullet design. You can get a 125 grain .30 bullet to expand substantially more than a 62 grain .22 bullet.

The 300blk was designed for using heavy bullets at subsonic velocity for suppressed weapons, but even then it's not that impressive. The muzzle energy of a 200 grain subsonic projectile is going to be the same whether it's a 300blk or a 45 ACP pistol round. Many would argue in favor of the 45 due to the larger wound cavity it provides. The 300 does have a slight advantage down range because the bullet has a higher BC and will maintain what velocity it has slightly better than the 45.

Back
Top Bottom