• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taco 3.5 VS 4.0 V6

Just from reading all the responses, if the 4.0 has more torque then if you are towing anything, the 4.0 would be better. I had a 2011 4.0 and pulled a Triton TR20 with dual axle trailer with no problems. Can't personally speak for the 3.5, but have heard like others have mentioned that the 3.5 is lackluster in the torque department. The 4.0 was designed to be a truck engine the 3.5 not so much. I have heard it called the mini-van motor. One negative I recall from my Tacoma was that the seats are not comfortable on long trips. I never have that problem in my F150, the seats are more like sitting on my living room sofa, very supportive but cushioning as well. If I was going to buy another one I would go with the long bed. A friend had one and compared to mine, there were times when I wished I had the additional room in the bed. Also the extra room in the crew cab style with full size doors makes all the difference in the world in the interior space.

Thanks for the advice and Opinions Gentleman! I doubt I will be towing anything remotely heavy. As far as power, I am to over the hill and just looking for economy and comfort..I am anal about good maintenance so that won't be a problem. I want to get a smaller truck, I don't need that big Dodge Hemi 4X4, it will pull a house..My back is to the point I have a hard time even getting in the Dodge..After the 1st of the year I will purchase a Taco. Y'all have a Merry Christmas and stay warm. It's 12 degrees here now and falling with a light dusting of snow..

I bought a ‘22 SR5 (2WD, V6) on Jan 5th, had 6 miles on it. 24.4k miles on it so far this year. I love it. Don’t need to tow anything; all I haul in the bed is deer carcass, firewood, or samples for work, and the 5’ bed works fine for that. I do have to get rid of a queen size bed here in a day or 2, and wish the bed was slightly larger for that purpose, but that just picking nits.

I’ve driven the truck on 8+ hour trips and it’s perfectly comfortable for me, though I’m average height and weight. If I was 6’+ 200+ I’d want a larger cab. My 7 year old fits in the back in his car seat with my wife in the front comfortably. He can’t sit behind my seat comfortably. We cram him and 2 large dogs in the cab for trips to the grandparents with No issue. At least none for me. The dogs are a little cramped but they don’t complain much.

Get these to eliminate the license plate glare when you back up. Best $10 I ever spent.

I bought a ‘22 SR5 (2WD, V6) on Jan 5th, had 6 miles on it. 24.4k miles on it so far this year. I love it. Don’t need to tow anything; all I haul in the bed is deer carcass, firewood, or samples for work, and the 5’ bed works fine for that. I do have to get rid of a queen size bed here in a day or 2, and wish the bed was slightly larger for that purpose, but that just picking nits.

I’ve driven the truck on 8+ hour trips and it’s perfectly comfortable for me, though I’m average height and weight. If I was 6’+ 200+ I’d want a larger cab. My 7 year old fits in the back in his car seat with my wife in the front comfortably. He can’t sit behind my seat comfortably. We cram him and 2 large dogs in the cab for trips to the grandparents with No issue. At least none for me. The dogs are a little cramped but they don’t complain much.

Get these to eliminate the license plate glare when you back up. Best $10 I ever spent.
Thanks for the heads up!

Though the Tacoma is a fantastic in reliability, either engine will give you 4 cylinder performance, V6 noises, and 8 cylinder fuel economy.

All the major auto makers are kinda ticked off at Toyota. Toyota has the tech to do the all electric vehicles but refuse to do so. Toyota stated that they would continue gas and hybrid engines but no fully electric ones for the foreseeable future. I give Toyota a point for that. Seems like they are going to try to make sales in the future for us older guys that don’t want to deal with electric vehicles.

i understand. Does anyone not buy a car anymore?
my Father RIP had a nice 4x4 truck and a really nice Crown Vic car for comfort and trips and run to store and church and…
I inherited his car and I gotta say it’s been years since I drove one but I totally understand now.

I guess that was just the old days but people didn’t buy a 2nd truck for ”comfort”
People just bought. Had a car.

Back
Top Bottom