Talk me into or out of 300blk...

7.62X39 is cheap and abundant.
Ballistics?

i221.photobucket.com_albums_dd136_jblomenberg16_300BLKComparison_2.png

7.62X39 is cheaper and more abundant.
10 years from now when 300 blk. basically becomes like .45 GAP 7.62X39 will still be cheap and abundant.
Questions?

Have fun with your taperd cases, odd ball bullet size, inability to work up decent subsonic loads.

7.62x39 isn't going away, but to somehow think 7.62x39 is in anyway better is assanine. Cheaper? Yes. Better? No.

It loses in ballistics, terminal ballistic, reliability in modern platforms, versatility of use, reloading capabilities, and versatility in parts.

But for an AK, stick with 7.62x39, the blk has no real business in an AK as its already a poor suppresor host.

Last edited:
Have fun with your taperd cases, odd ball bullet size, inability to work up decent subsonic loads.

7.62x39 isn't going away, but to somehow think 7.62x39 is in anyway better is assanine. Cheaper? Yes. Better? No.

It loses in ballistics, terminal ballistic, reliability in modern platforms, versatility of use, reloading capabilities, and versatility in parts.

But for an AK, stick with 7.62x39, the blk has no real business in an AK as its already a poor suppresor host.

I'm not impressed with the 7.62x39 either. One of the points you bring up about it is very important and many people don't know it. The 7.62x39 does not use a .308 caliber bullet like almost all other ".30 caliber" rounds, so availability of appropriate bullets for loading is very limited.

I'm not impressed with the 7.62x39 either. One of the points you bring up about it is very important and many people don't know it. The 7.62x39 does not use a .308 caliber bullet like almost all other ".30 caliber" rounds, so availability of appropriate bullets for loading is very limited.

You totally lost me on that 1.

You totally lost me on that 1.

The 7.62x39 uses .310 caliber bullets as opposed to the vast majority of other .30 and 7.62 cartridges which use a .308. The number of bullets manufactured in .310 are a small fraction of those made in .308 so there is much less versatility when loading for the 7.62x39.

the 300blk is a cool round. I like the way it sounds suppressed. It all depends on what you intend to use it for. If you dont hunt, reload and plan to suppress it... I think it would be useless to you. JMO though.

The 300blk is tacticool. Its the exact same 300whisper that has been around forever. 5.56 will practically do anything a 300blk will. Dont buy into the markeing scheme of the tacticool idiots out there.

The 300blk is tacticool. Its the exact same 300whisper that has been around forever. 5.56 will practically do anything a 300blk will. Dont buy into the markeing scheme of the tacticool idiots out there.

I gotta kinda disagree there. Suppressing the 5.56 is not NEAR as quiet as a 300blk subsonic suppressed round. Its REALLY quiet. Thats the only use I can see for it though. Plus the upside is many 9mm cans allow you to suppress 300blk subs. So you dont have to spend the cheese on another can.

If he wants to go subsonic it does have benefits. But only if he wants to suppress. The 5.56 as a subsonic round sucks.

Back
Top Bottom