• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taurus 856, 38 Special, Notes, Thoughts and Basic Tuning

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
While I love the J Frame 38, with arthritis it became too small to hold on to....and I love its replacement, the Ruger LCR (Fine Trigger) but darn it bites with a weakened arthritic grip, causing much loss of skin at the base of the thumb in a few rounds of practice......so, thought I'd try another brand I loved in the past, this, an update to the Taurus Model 85 5 shot, is the Model 856 6 Shot.

2.jpeg
1.jpeg

No work has been done other than a deep clean and application of Rig Grease to all moving surfaces.

Potential Pros:
Lightly chamfered cylinder mouths from factory.
Smooth DA pull to a tiny wall that allows staging the shot.
Crisp SA pull, heavy enough not to go off in surprise.
Replaceable front sight.
Stainless steel with enough weight to tame recoil, a LOT, but not so heavy that I dislike it for belt or pocket carry after having been spoiled by carrying an LCR for so long.
Overall dimensions, except for cylinder diameter are smaller than the LCR.
The grip is smaller than the LCR but fits the hand so much better.
There is no slap/sting or even skin abrading torque in recoil.
Plenty accurate for carry, 50 rounds at 7 yards (125g 38 Special +P) resulted in 46 hits on 5 inch steel swingers, and those misses were me trying to shoot to quickly before having a real feel for the new weapon.
The Cylinder holds 6, a 20% increase in capacity for just over 1/10th inch diameter increase, still fits all my leather LCR holsters fine, pocket carries fine.
The fast moving 125g loads printed very well centered and just under the front sight at the 7 yard engagement range.
Wide trigger is smooth faced and comfortable.
Simplified internal components that pretty much eliminate the "its a smith copy" commentary, it is its own design, and a good one, overall contact areas internally are smaller and there'll be lots less friction. A touch of RIG grease after cleaning really makes the action feel smooth and predictable. (The interior parts of the 856 are adequately smooth for a noncompetitive weapon and as evidenced by lubrication, not so "ruff" as to be gritty/surging and in need of polishing)
No malfunctions of any kind.
Points very well.
Some MIM internals, a plus as these parts are perfectly adequate/reliable/durable for 99% of us and keep the price where we can afford to become the new owners.
Frame mounted firing pin.
Transfer bar.
All coil springs.
No SAFETY, repeat, NO SAFETY, NO SAFETY
Under $280 from Perry Gun Shop in NC via their NCGUNGALLERY (Gunbroker) link.

Potential Cons:

Beaded stainless finish is just a touch coarse, that means this gun will show scratches easily, like a hi polish and additionally, will look dirty much of the time.
Grip is pinned to the frame, adding the requirement for 2 new disassembly tools, hammer and punch. (Fixed, see below)
DA Trigger pull measured over 12 lbs with SA pull measuring 6.5 lbs (However, both are smooth, predictable and at least on the initial shooting test, were not detrimental...in any event, trigger pull weight is easily adjusted.)
Noticeably heavier than a Ruger LCR, (but that was desired/expected and the extra weight really does make this small gun a pleasure to shoot and shoot well....and its not so heavy that it pulls down my pants with pocket carry.)
Front sight is hard to see.

Initial Assessment:

Solid value. I believe I got way more than my moneys worth here. Its going into immediate carry duty, and that snapping skin flensing LCR is going back in the safe.

At under $280 from LGS I'll opine it's more value per penny than any Rock Island, J Frame, K frame, Colt Frame, etc. Hell, you can afford it, and afford to shoot it and still get Mickey D's and a Beer for lunch after.

If it turns out to be half as reliable and durable as the several Taurus 85 5 shot revolvers I've experienced, (and I think it'll be as good or better) -- I'd assess one would be down right stupid not to add an 856 to the stable if you want/need a smallish revolver.

Ameriglo makes an orange dot/tritium combo available only through ShopTaurus for $29.99. Lots of good reviews there too.

When you change springing on a compact revolver, especially one with a mim hammer (which is lighter than forged steel due to the indentations) change only the trigger rebound spring. 95% of your trigger feel and poundage is in that spring. Changing the mainsprings on the compacts approaches 100% certainty that you'll experience at least one ftf in the future and there goes your confidence, usually forever.

Elimination of one Con.

Hammer and punch to get the grip off... No No No.

Pounded it out for the last time. Tapped the hole in the frame 8x40. Fitted the head of a gun screw to a snug fit to the hole in the grip.

Viola. Only one tool now needed for disassembly.

3.jpeg

Commenced elimination of a second Con.

Clipped 1.5 coils from the trigger rebound spring as a test.

The trigger smoothed up noticably, the "wall" disappeared and the pull forced dropped 8 ounces. Holding on target for the long pull is easier.

So, looks like a reduced power trigger rebound spring is in the near future as the action is responsive.

(I was going to chamfer the cylinder mouths but, it was done at the factory, so will have to add this Pro up top.)

Triggers fixed. A wolff 6.5 trigger return spring was fitted. Factory mainspring left in place.

Da pull is now 8 lbs. Sa pull is now 4lb 2 oz.

No polish needed, just a touch of rig in the right spots. Off to the range to validate function.

Back
Top Bottom