• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taurus Tracker 44mag loads

dave5182

Default rank <4500 posts Supporter
Old and In the Way
429   0
Reaction score
I picked up a pre-owned Taurus Tracker 44mag recently that I will take to Montana and leave it in my cabin. Obviously I will use it for bear protection along with bear spray, I need suggestions on the heaviest hardcast solid bullet that would be safe to use in the Tracker , I have gotten differing advise on heavy grain rounds and would like more information . Thanks in advance

Buffalo bore
Buffalo bore
BB is my first choice for manufacture, I was looking for the heaviest grain (240gr or 300gr) hardcast solid for protection , I have heard different info regarding possible safety issues with the Taurus. The Tracker seems to be well made but then again it is not a Colt or Smith, this revolver will be with me in my ATV and will be left in Montana, the heavy stuff will not be shot a bunch, but I want to feel safe if a bear encounter arises. Guess my question is is the Tracker able to handle 300gr + safely . Thanks for your help.

new load is designed ONLY for certain firearms. They are as follows; Ruger Red Hawk, Ruger Super Red Hawk (the Ruger Alaskan is a short barrel Super Redhawk), Ruger Super Blackhawk or Vaquero, Freedom Arms Model 83, Taurus Raging Bull All Steel Versions (no lightweight alloys), Colt Anaconda, Magnum Research BFR and Dan Wesson Revolvers. Suitable rifles include T/C Encore, CVA Hunter, Handi Rifle and any rifle with a falling block action. Please note that this website list of approved firearms is more up to date than some of the lists found on our boxes of ammo.

I owned a 44mag Tracker and while it was a good little revolver, I would never have considered shooting anything hot, or +P though it. I just don't think it's strong enough.

Personally I'd just pick up a box of Hornady XTP or Winchester Hollow point. I'd rather have 5 shots (or opportunities) at a bear, if needed, with standard shelf defense/hunting ammo than possibly just one with buffalo bore if it caused a catastrophic failure.

44 Special was pleasant shooting out of the Tracker and I liked it's reduced size and carry ease being a medium framed 5 shot revolver.

I'm sure Taurus could give you a definitive answer if you called or emailed them....

Load it down with Bubbas pissin' hot reloads and challenge the bear to a duel. It's in the constitution, the right to keep and arm bears shall not be infringed.

Therefore the bear will grenade his hands and will concede the duel.

Back
Top Bottom