• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taurus Tracker 44mag loads

Here's what your looking for, give Ted a call he's the real deal.

I'd like to see how well a cheap alloy revolver would hold up to these 340 grain loads lol. Those are dang right there at 454 Casull power!

I owned a 44mag Tracker and while it was a good little revolver, I would never have considered shooting anything hot, or +P though it. I just don't think it's strong enough.

Personally I'd just pick up a box of Hornady XTP or Winchester Hollow point. I'd rather have 5 shots (or opportunities) at a bear, if needed, with standard shelf defense/hunting ammo than possibly just one with buffalo bore if it caused a catastrophic failure.

44 Special was pleasant shooting out of the Tracker and I liked it's reduced size and carry ease being a medium framed 5 shot revolver.

I'm sure Taurus could give you a definitive answer if you called or emailed them....
HP are a BAD idea. You need a Hardcastle for deep penetration. I read about a guy who emptied a 10mm of XTP into a grizzly skull (someone else took care of the problem with a 12 ga slug) upon autopsy (of grizzly) not 1 out of 7 oenetracted skull, the other 2 were mearly flesh wounds.
Something to think about (and study( before choosing a huge mistake.

don't forget underwood
I didn't, Underwood is good ammo. Lost River ammo isn't loaded balls to the wall and is more accurate.
IMG_20240215_203519590.jpg

I did not know that I assumed they were more durable than steel.
And also, especially for the 44mag, heavy recoil pulls the bullets from the casing causing a jam. I had a 329PD and it was a beautiful gun, but if I can even shoot full power loads through it then it's useless.

Back
Top Bottom