• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Teen Driver

I already told him, first ticket and he is on his own for insurance.

Hope it works out for you like it did for me.
I told both my children the same thing about the ticket and neither got one.
They knew I was serious.
Of course that was before the distraction of cell phones, with a new driver that would probably have worried me the most.
Damned cellphones!

We bought ours a scooter, he rides to and from school rain or shine since he turned 15. We are going to put his name on a vehicle, 94 S-10 Blazer, and it will be the only car he will be authorized to drive per our insurance person at ALFA.

I already told him, first ticket and he is on his own for insurance.
My son was 17 and ran off the road in the rain (not speeding), hit a tree and totaled his 99 Camry. He got ticketed for failing to maintain control of the vehicle. He is 20 now and has his own policy on a 2003 Tacoma and pays $3800 a year. Prior to the accident we were paying about $1800 a year for him with the Camry.

Does he work? Have him chip in on the costs. I worked and put $40 a week towards car insurance / maintenace back in the late 90s. Always had it covered, but costs were lower then too.

We gave him a little junker car for free and gave him the option of buying a nicer car for 100 bucks a month. We are in the process of buying the nicer car now and he will make payments to us. We have 8 insured vehicles so we were already paying over 200 a month for insurance. Just shocked me when I saw we were going to be paying over 400.

Actually I am looking now to see if there is a way to move my truck and my car to a different policy that he isn't allowed to operate them on. He will never drive either of them and the rate on both of them is doubling. Actually our rate on everything is doubling except my motorcycles and our camper (those aren't changing.)

Well crap. Just found out that adding my 16 year old son to our insurance policy is going to cost me 195 bucks a month. Son of a *****. :shocked:

Mine's grown and paying her own way. I paid between $1600 - $2000 per year during 2001-2008 (HS and college) and that was after the A-student and multiple safe-driver classes. Make sure your son is aware of Georgia's ticket laws for those under 21. Mine had a bad speeding ticket- driving through a school zone in Clayton County while on the phone and almost lost her license since she was under 21. Had a great attorney who got several continuances until the day of her 21st birthday and only a $200 fine. That was the last speeding ticket, there were two prior all due to driving while distracted by friends in the car or phones. Those tickets raise the risk and insurance payments. She had to pay all of her fines and work to offset the extra cost of her insurance. It's certainly a generational dilemma for parents.

Mine's grown and paying her own way. I paid between $1600 - $2000 per year during 2001-2008 (HS and college) and that was after the A-student and multiple safe-driver classes. Make sure your son is aware of Georgia's ticket laws for those under 21. Mine had a bad speeding ticket- driving through a school zone in Clayton County while on the phone and almost lost her license since she was under 21. Had a great attorney who got several continuances until the day of her 21st birthday and only a $200 fine. That was the last speeding ticket, there were two prior all due to driving while distracted by friends in the car or phones. Those tickets raise the risk and insurance payments. She had to pay all of her fines and work to offset the extra cost of her insurance. It's certainly a generational dilemma for parents.
Just curious as to how much that attorney cost??

Back
Top Bottom