• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Teen Driver

Yep I feel your pain. When my son turned 16 added to my policy big jump, on his second accident (both not his fault and no ticket) my policy was dropped. Wife and I was free of accidents for 20 years. Didn't matter had to call ga insurance commissioner to get reinstated, at a whopping 4500 a year on junkers. Get his own policy and signed papers that he will not drive your vehicles. By the way he was a Eagle Scout (good kid). All this was 17 years ago, I tell all my friends get your kids their own policy.

Yep I feel your pain. When my son turned 16 added to my policy big jump, on his second accident (both not his fault and no ticket) my policy was dropped. Wife and I was free of accidents for 20 years. Didn't matter had to call ga insurance commissioner to get reinstated, at a whopping 4500 a year on junkers. Get his own policy and signed papers that he will not drive your vehicles. By the way he was a Eagle Scout (good kid). All this was 17 years ago, I tell all my friends get your kids their own policy.

His own policy is 366 a month and we would have to sign affidavits stating he will not drive our vehicles which we can't truthfully do.

His own policy is over 400 a month and we would have to sign affidavits stating he will not drive our vehicles which we can't truthfully do.

I took us over 4 years before I could find reasonable insurance again. Don't laugh but I am sure we spent over 16000 for our policy and helping him pay his. Our family car was a 1987 Jetta his was a 1980 ford ranger with just liability, and lucky to have that.

I took us over 4 years before I could find reasonable insurance again. Don't laugh but I am sure we spent over 16000 for our policy and helping him pay his. Our family car was a 1987 Jetta his was a 1980 ford ranger with just liability, and lucky to have that.

Oh believe me, I'm not laughing.

Same here $1800 per year, with the school and 3.5 gpa. She is driving a pos minivan and is pissed about it but I don't care. 6 months no tickets or accidents she can drive the highlander her grandfather left her.

My dummy got a speeding ticket in a school zone about a week after getting his license, had a minor accident the same year and has had a couple of tickets since (one just last week). He's 19 and in school and I pay about $1,800 a year for him and he kicks in $150 a month tribute for me letting him live...with me. He drives a beat up 97 4Runner that wasn't beat up when I got it for him. First and last vehicle I buy him. He knew that going in.

Man I remember being a teenager and broke and having to make it on my own for a solid year and a half I drove with no insurance on my 1982 Mercedes just couldn't afford it plus food and rent

Rule in my house was if you want to drive you will pay for your vehicle, insurance, gas and maintenance. Neither one screwed around and got in an accident or got a ticket because they knew they couldn't afford a rate hike. Taught them the value of a buck, gave them pride in what they accomplished and learned what it was like to work for what they wanted.

Man I remember being a teenager and broke and having to make it on my own for a solid year and a half I drove with no insurance on my 1982 Mercedes just couldn't afford it plus food and rent

Back then we would buy our policy with a down payment when it was time to renew our registration and let it lapse for the next 11 months. I was 19 years old and made minimum wage and lived on my own. It wasn't right, and had I had an accident I would have been screwed, but it was how I got by. Can't do that anymore though, which is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom